Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/27 15:25
Hello, i have some questions about Japanese curry.
So, please, tell me what's the ingredients is required fro this dish. I want to try it on my kitchen. And, please, tell me how to make this work together, also tell me some tips about cooking curry. I want to make this dish for my family and the dish exactly as in Japanese.
Thank you for reading, tips and information
by Checkmate113  

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 12:31
A google search would have got you an answer quicker than typing your question.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 12:38
Then why is this forum for if i can use Google anyways? I want to learn from people who closely relative, so, please.
by Checkmate113 rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 13:19
I believe that forums exist to help people who have tried by themselves but need some extra help. It would also help if the OP could write something like "I learned from so and so that there is a thing called so and so. I did as far as this, but having trouble understanding this and that", so that posters won't have to ask questions back, and so that the OP can get the answers (s)he wants.

Back to the topic, the Japanese commonly use "curry roux", in other words, instant curry blocks to season curry. Many modern locals know no other way. The ingredients and recipe is written in each package, and people might add something extra to make it special.

Do you think you can do this? What part of the world are you located in now? And what is your definition of "exactly as in Japanese"? In what way can we help you better? I am a Japanese who have make curry modern Japanese style, old Japanese style, Indian style and Thai style, if that helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 13:27
Thanks for your replying and also for your's opinion. I'm from Russia. I believed if i cannot get some ingredients then i can change a recipe little bit. I also saw that i can buy a curry species in the local store, so, please, tell me how to create a modern Japanese style curry

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 15:46
https://the360.life/U1301.doit?id=449

Normal Japanese household will cook Japanese curry using ready made curry roux(see above link).
Standard ingredient is onion, garlic, meat(pork,beef or chicken), potatoes and carrot. You can put whatever you want or have available.

How you cook or make the curry differ from each person/household.

1. some people just dump all the ingredient into pot with water, and wait till boiled then put in the curry roux.

2. some will stir fry the onion/garlic and then meat. Then put in potatoes/carrot and water to boil. Then final add in curry roux.

Mine is no. 2. Also personal opinion, it is best eaten after been left for few hours, then reheat before eating.

If you can find any Japanese curry roux near your place, then google for 'make japanese curry roux from scratch'

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 15:55
Thank you for the answer, a little bit later i'll try to cook curry and will write here about the variation of cooking and result. If you have any more ideas and tips, please, write it all here

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 16:30
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/28 17:33
Hi again,

The "modern" way is to use the instant package of Japanese roux, as shown by other posters. But if you can't buy it in your town, you can either use a readily-mixed curry spice or you can mix your own, and then mix in salt and flour as you would when making white sauce or anything creamy. The rest is done just as you would make stew. The recipe I happened to find below doesn't require any flour but grated potato instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQdSU229lA

Japanese curry is generally not so spicy, because Japanese food in general is very mild. Among Russian dishes, I feel that Japanese curry is like Beef Stroganoff with turmeric powder and chili powder, but with more chunks of carrots and potatoes.

Your curry is to be poured over boiled unseasoned rice, and pickles are supposed to go good with your curry.

Happy cooking!

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/29 09:50
Hi. I love Japanese curry. I will tell you how I make mine. My favorite is beef (chuck steak) though this works well with chicken (thighs), or lamb.

Dice an onion, mince maybe a dessertspoon of ginger.
Fry in a little oil, dont brown, just soften;
cut your beef into chunks. I like big chunks, maybe an inch square by a half an inch. You can dust it in flour but that will make it stick;
brown the meat with the onion and ginger. You can do that for quite a while, it wont affect the tenderness.
Add a few tablespoons of soy, mirin, and sake and sizzle the alcohol off;
add quite a lot of liquid, well over the top of the meat. If you have dashi powder, you can make dashi stock for this but it doesnt really matter. I use beef stock;
add a tin of tomatoes, a chopped capsicum, and sultanas (maybe a half cup);
if you want, add sweet potato and/or potato. I also put in maybe a 1/3 cup of sugar;
cook slow for a couple of hours (I will often just cook for an hour then leave it overnight).

For the curry roux put about 3/4 of a cup of oil in a pan and heat it. Add about a half a cup of flour and stir (I use cornflour because we cook gf). If it is very runny, add more flour until it is like thickened cream in consistency. Add about a half a cup of your favorite curry powder and stir to get smooth. Dont let it burn. you can add chili powder too if you like it spicy. add a bit of salt.

Add this mix to the hot beef stew, stirring all the time, on a low to medium heat. It should thicken up. If it is too thick you will need more water.

Dice an apple and maybe a carrot, put them in.

Cook another 15 minutes or so, until the curry is glossy looking.

Enjoy

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/29 11:17
Thank you for your recipe and also for detailed description!

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/29 16:52
If you cant get your hands on sake or mirin, I reckon a bit of vodka might be OK and just up the sugar. Remember for every tablespoon of soy you put in you pretty much have to add the same in sweetness. I usually use mirin for sweetness and a bit of sugar, but I think chinese rice wine or vodka could be OK, just add more sugar.

Japanese dont usually like a lot of meat in their curry so it is more saucy, but we can do whatever we want, eh?

If you get a chance, watch the Japanology episode on curry. Essentially it was introduced to Japan as a way of getting the Japanese to eat beef, because they needed to increase their size when they were forming the navy. So sailors were given beef which they didnt like, but they would eat beef curry. Curry places opened up around ports then it caught on from there. Bizarre, eh?
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/31 01:41
So, hello everyone. Thanks to all of you for answers, advices and opinions. Today i've cooked a curry and it was a little bit ti spicey. I've followed that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQdSU229lA except red wine and wester. sauce. Except spiciness curry still was very tasty. Here is the link to the photo https://ibb.co/55Prpy2 . And, so, what are think of it? Do it looks like tasty or something else. Please, write your opinion below and thank you.

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/5/31 12:24
Yup! It sure looks like Japanese curry! Some locals make it very spicy, so don't worry about it. I think it might go better with rice if it is less starchy (meaning more soup-y). In any case, if you think it's good, it's the curry you want!

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/2 16:11
I have a question! My partner makes a mean batch of curry but it is coloured yellow (unlike brownish curry I see in pictures). Maybe itfs just the spice/colour used but does the color have any changes to the food? I love my partnerfs curry but Ifm just really curious about the brown version.
by Aurearea rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/2 19:07
Is this curry spicey or not? What's the taste is? The difference might be in the colour of curry spice or maybe he put something else. Can you srite the all ingredients that he uses?

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/2 20:02
Mainly depends on what/amount spice you put.
Depends on what types curry powder mix you add.
Tumeric will give curry a yellowish color, whereas chili powder/cinnamon/cloves will give it a brownish color. Also, saute your onion until it caramelise will give your curry a darker colour.
Try 'garam masala'.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/2 23:58
Now people like them brown, but yellow used to be the old trend. Don't worry about it. And turmeric is good for your liver.

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/20 12:38
One tip I can give you (and I'm not really good at cooking) is many Japanese curry recipes contain sweeteners like apples and honey and stuff like that. It's not quite as spicy as, say, Indian curries which I love more (despite the fact that I am Japanese.) Of course, Japanese curries can still be spicy 'hot' like with chili peppers, but I think they kind of lack the crucial punch that Indian counterparts have. I like 'em still. Just not as much. So if you want to make Japanese curry, add in some apple and/or honey, and it'll taste more Japanese and less Indian. (Technically speaking, that is. I have NEVER tried making Japanese curry using traditional curry powder I use to make indian-style curries. In fact, I don't know what ingredients they use exactly to produce that mild flavour for store-bought curry sauces.)
by PumpkinBread (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/20 12:59
OH, there is one more thing.

What the user Lazy Pious said is quite interesting inasmuch as Japanese curry was invented to make soldiers eat beef. So I'm thinking the process of making Japanese curry is similar to that of making beef stew. And I think it's more or less true because the base ingredient for traditional Japanese curry roux must be beef or pork, and it's a no-go for me since I am almost vegan. You can hardly ever find vegetarian curry in Japan, but it is apparently possible to make a sauce only using vegetables or vegetable fat.

Cheers.

Pumpkin
by PumpkinBread (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread