Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/4 09:56
I carry with many baggage whenever travelling but not sure if there is any specific space to place them in Shinkansen. There also seems to be size restriction.
Please kindky let me know if you know anything thank you.
by Ponyyyy  

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/4 10:39
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/4 10:46
Some info here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

It would be advisable to travel light if you can.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/4 12:53
It can be very tricky.. I did that a lot, but what I did was send my big suitcase to destination. The hotel sent it to my friend by shinkansen too. My friend spoke on the phone and provided address and information I do not know about. But my bag was there when I arrived, haha. You can put some bags on top of the seats. But you have to be super fast or will end up w/o room, like on a flight.. Cabin suitcases will fit there. But only once I took one train that had room for suitcases, shinkansen. The rest, never. Some room at the end of the coach, bur no way big like Narita express that has plenty of space.. Good luck!
by Hana22 rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/4 15:18
If you have too much luggage (e.g. more than permitted to be stored at the back of the cars under the new rules), or wish to travel luggage-free, consider using the luggage forwarding system. Your accommodation can help you fill out the forms, and organise payment and collection. Delivery is normally next-day. I frequently use this service when I am travelling to an area for a few days - send my larger suitcase to meet me a few days later somewhere else, and carry just a small bag on the shinkansen. Makes getting through the station, and on and off the trains much easier. The luggage forwarding is quite well-priced, so doesn't break the bank. It also means I can still bring a big suitcase to Japan to fill up with souvenirs!!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/5 00:32
Apart from the obvious inconvenience to log around all these suitcases up and down staircases, also consider the size of Japanese hotel rooms and their cupboards.

If at all possible try to reduce the amount of stuff youfll transport around and yes, Takkyubin is your Friend for sending big suitcases onward to your next location.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/5 01:56
Takkyubin is most definitely your friend if you want to have larger bags.

I've also found that depending on where you are staying and if you are coming back someplace hotels will sometimes hold suitcases.

My last trip, I spent time in Tokyo then went up to Nagano and Shiga Kogen and then back to Tokyo. My hotel in Tokyo offered to hold my suitcases for me, so that I could travel with fewer bags to Nagano. I then used same day luggage forwarding at Nagano Station to send my carry on sized bag to my ryokan at Kanabayashi onsen so I was suitcase free for some snow play time in Shiga kogen.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/25 23:06
It depends a lot on the line you are taking and how crowded is the train, but, normally, the general rule for most Shinkansen lines is a limit of 2 pieces of luggage per person (not including accessories or handbags).

There is also a special space on some cars designated to oversized baggage, so you don't have to worry if yours is gonna fit below your seat.
by Mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing big baggage onto Shinkansen? 2020/6/28 21:14
Be aware of the very little time the Shinkansen stops at stations to let passengers off and on.
If you have a lot of luggage it may not be possible for you to board the train or you could end up causing delays and problems for the railway. Unlike other countries, the Shinkansen runs on a very tight and efficient schedule.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread