Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/17 17:50
I got an Extention of Stay last April due to my canceled flight going back to my home country. My flight for July 14 was canceled, and I am only allowed to stay here in Japan until July 15. Does anyone know if I can file for another extension?
by Daniel (guest)  

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/18 08:48
I would contact the immigration office. We don't know the laws or rules of what is allowed or not allowed. That is your best bet since they can give you a much clearer answer. Wish you good luck
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/18 09:52
I tried calling but they have a hard time speaking in English. They just kept saying that I should go to immigration.
by danmarvpad rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/18 15:23
Do you have a friend that can call for you and just tell them the situation to explain to them? That might be easier if you're been here in Japan, I would think you can have a Japanese friend to call and see what they say. Otherwise, your other best bet would be just to go into the immigration office and ask them. They do speak English as well at the immigration office, so I'm not sure why they didn't speak English on the phone.

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/18 20:44
I'm currently doing an unpaid internship under a tourist visa, so it's difficult for me to just go to immigration during the weekday. I don't have a Japanese speaking friend to help me talk to immigration.

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/18 21:08
I just found a link regarding my issue. For those who are in the same boat as I am here's the link

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/12/national/japan-july-visas...

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/19 09:12
Just curious, but how are you "working" under a tourist visa, even if it's unpaid? A tourist visa means you can't work at all, so I'm very curious how you're able to do that. Did you get special permission from the government to work and have a contract to say you're just an intern?

I would be careful about doing any kind of work when you don't have the proper credentials to be doing so in Japan.

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/19 10:45
Just to be sure: so you originally had a resident status that was valid until April, which you went to get an extension for gbeforeh it expired, and you have it until July now?

Yes it was announced that those who have resident status expiring during the months of March, April, May, June or now July also may apply for extension/renewal 3 months beyond the expiry date, so that the congestion at the immigration office would not be too much.

But still since it will be your second extension, I would advise you to call again to double check. There should be some English-speaking staff, though.

I believe unpaid internship within 90 days can be done on gtemporary visitorh status. However, if it goes beyond 90 days, it needs to be something else, which I believe is gcultural activities.h

Soc if you initially had 90 days or less internship program, and you are still continuing with it, meaning it is going beyond 90 days, now maybe approaching 150 days or so, there might be an issue with it (even considering the current extraordinary circumstances).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a extension of stay 2nd time? 2020/6/19 12:36
You can do an unpaid internship with a tourist visa. You can also enroll in a language school under tourist visa. You cannot get paid through or get an actually work.

reply to this thread