Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving from Scotland to Japan? 2020/6/24 02:38
I'm considering moving to Japan. I am looking to achieve this in a couple of years as I will be studying Japanese and hoping to go as a teacher of English as I believe this to be the best career to start with. I'm 33 with a BA of arts. Is there really a disadvantage with being older?

Is anyone else from Scotland planning or thinking to move? Looking for someone to share the journey or tips with.
by Rabbit13  

Re: Moving from Scotland to Japan? 2020/6/24 09:55
English teaching is typically a low-paid position; is this really what you want to be doing in your mid-to-late thirties? What is your current profession in Scotland - could you translate that to Japan instead?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Scotland to Japan? 2020/6/24 18:51
You are not so old as to have any disadvantage. It's true that teaching in Japan is not so well paid or as lucrative as it once was however many of us manage to survive and even prosper. I used to work with a scottish chap named, Ronan. You must know him. I personally couldn't understand a word he said but the students loved him. You say teacher - that pretty much means eikaiwa or language school. If you want to work at a public school you will be an assistant. They will pay about the same.
by Ric (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread