Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/27 09:54
I haven't visited Japan as of yet, but I plan to someday and would like to be able to follow their etiquette without making the people around me feel uncomfortable, so I've been wondering whether or not it's ok to show PDA in a konyoku onsen? Like cuddling against each other, holding hands, and such.
by LongSleevesssowo  

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/27 14:44
Public display of affection is generally not appreciated in Japan, whether it is in a konyoku or anywhere else.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/29 09:31
I'm just curious, but which onsen are you going to go into where you can just go with your S.O. to cuddle and hold them? Most onsens in Japan are divided from male area to female area and don't co-mingle. If you went to a private onsen and spent a bit more money, you might be able to find a place like that.

The real question is... WHY do you want to show PDA in an onsen? That is kind of odd to do to be honest considering that an onsen is a public bath place where multiple people are there to relax in the hot water, not to have a boyfriend/girlfriend to cuddle and hold there. Even more odd considering as mentioned, most onsens don't allow co mingling.

Most people in Japan don't show PDA in public and if it is done, usually it's by teenagers or college students in a dating area, but you won't see that much. If you want to be respectful of others, just keep this in mind when you're in Japan.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/29 09:55
I think this would be very awkward, given that there will be other people in the onsen to relax. You cuddling with your partner would make them uncomfortable, as it's not a "date spot". You need to think about how others would feel.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/29 13:28
The short answer is "no, not when you're naked".

Whether konyoku (mix-gender) or not, public bath tubs and washing areas are designed to clean your body and relax your soul, and maybe enjoy a chat. They're not designed for romance or physical contact. Mix-gender baths exist for practical reasons: When you're washing, there is no man versus woman, we're all simply humans. The idea of "affection" in baths is that we're sharing the same tub, period.

In other words, bathers can only bath naked at ease when they are assured that there is no sexuality or any possibility of being directly touched by someone. Being naked means you're being vulnerable. There has to be an understanding that everyone is equal in the tub.

Meanwhile, it's totally acceptable to hold hands or arms once you've dressed yourselves. Cuddling and kissing in public are not at all common in Japan, however, so you have to consider how it would look like. In any case, PDA when dressed and PDA when naked are two completely different things, at least in Japan.

Happy bathing!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/29 13:33
@Motti15, regarding
I'm just curious, but which onsen are you going to go into where you can just go with your S.O. to cuddle and hold them? Most onsens in Japan are divided from male area to female area and don't co-mingle. If you went to a private onsen and spent a bit more money, you might be able to find a place like that.
, the OP specifically asked about “konyoku” 混浴 , ie mixed public baths.

But yeah , konyoku isn’t that common (anymore) and yes, cuddling, kissing each other in a public bath would be certainly frowned upon and make everyone else very uncomfortable. And I’d guess you two as well. If you want to cuddle in an onsen (or more), get a private one. As PPs said, kissing etc is even not very common in other public spaces. Eg trains, street,...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Is it ok to show PDA in an konyoku onsen? 2020/6/29 18:59
As other posted have suggested it is not the done thing. I have never seen it and would find it somewhat off-putting myself.

Konyoku are few and far between anyway.

The good news is, the water is so freaking hot, that you will be more concerned with not passing out. The thought of PDA will not enter your mind. So we can all relax
by Ric (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread