Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/8 21:46
Hello,
I recently applied to work at Gaba as an English teacher. I have qualifications, experience, no accent... Gaba just told me that I need an English-taught university degree in order to get their visa sponsorship. I am finishing my postgraduate studies (100% taught in English) but, as I haven't graduated yet, they require me to have a Bachelor's degree taught in English.

Just as a curiosity, is that a real legal requirement from Immigration or just their company policy? A great deal of my Bachelor's was taught in English, but I still had some modules taught in my mother tongue.
by miho85  

Re: Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/9 09:05
It's not a legal requirement. Japan immigration really only care about a bachelors degree and it can be pretty much in any field, though it does help if it's pertaining to English of course.

It may just be the companies policy that they are asking of you to complete with a field in English, but that's by no means a law or requirement by immigration.

I would just continue to work with this company to figure out a solution and it's absolutely mandatory by them that they require this. Good luck!
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/9 09:07
Companies have requirements, especially when sponsoring someone to work in Japan.
If you a not complying with the company requirements than they are correct to not hire someone.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/9 09:14
Motti15,
OP is not talking about a degree in English language as the subject/field, but a course taught fully gin Englishh as the medium.

Miho85,
The employer might be requiring it to establish (or to make it look credible to immigration) that you are equivalent to a native speaker of the English language.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/9 19:07
Motti15, ....... (guest)
Thank you! Yes, they meant a course taught in English (any discipline). Unfortunately, my BA was 70% in English and they've just told me that they require a minimum of 80%, so I've been rejected. I don't think there's any solution besides applying once I've graduated from my MA.

justmyday
As I said, I just wanted to know whether that is a legal requirement or a company policy. If it's a legal requirement, that means that I'm just not allowed to work as a teacher. If it's company policy, I can still apply to a different company. I've never said I want them to change their requirements, I only expressed my frustration about it.
by miho85 rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa, degree in English? 2020/7/10 09:28
You're welcome! I'm glad my answer could help. Yes, sorry if I misunderstood the first part of your question, but it's definitely not a legal issue. It's just the school who has this rule, but I wouldn't sweat it. If they honestly only go by a test score for qualification, that's their loss considering there are many great teachers out there who may not have the score they are looking for. (Japan really loves qualifications on paper for some reason.)

I would just apply to other companies that would accept you. Don't settle for less and get what it is you're looking for! Good luck. :)
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread