Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan April-May, Golden Week issue 2020/7/13 05:23
Hi,
I plan on going to Japan during end of April next year, staying until mid May. I am a bit worried about the Golden Week though being an issue. Some say it is not as bad as it appears, while others say I should stay away from Japan during that time. Still it seems Japan has grown rather crowded on tourists from abroad the past years, maybe Golden Week will be no difference?

Are there any typical areas to be avoided during that time?
by Queo (guest)  

Re: Japan April-May, Golden Week issue 2020/7/13 10:03
Hello! What is it exactly that you're afraid of during the golden week? Things are usually a little bit busier during that time of the golden week, but it's nothing too crazy.

I would just recommend getting things advance like hotel reservations and so on to beat the other rushes of people. Just stay informed and look for updates depending on what you're trying to do and you'll be fine. Have fun!
by Facts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan April-May, Golden Week issue 2020/7/14 05:28
Well I fear hotels might run out well in advance, and trains being booked out. Since I often happen to change my schedule while in Japan it might be a problem.

When planning a trip to Sapporo a few years ago during february the hotels were booked out long before, due to the snow festival, just mentioning.
by Queo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan April-May, Golden Week issue 2020/7/14 08:20
I travel most Golden Week holidays - because the holidays are spread out the crowding on the trains is much less than New Year or Obon. Book in advance, have a plan to avoid the first and last days of the holiday period. I have no hesitation travelling during that time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan April-May, Golden Week issue 2020/7/14 18:26
Thank you for your words.

Well I remember travelling during late july tl mid Aug last year and there were so many people across it was hard to travel at my pace. Managing finding a hotel room in Akita during the festival in the last minute seemed impossible but was doable due to miracle :O

But many other resorts were booked out like Izu peninsula, Morioka, Aomori, etc, even Sapporo for some reason.

by Queo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread