Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/15 23:38
Hello
I'm a student that needed to come to Japan in April , but thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic I couldn't leave my country ; I'm here to ask if I can contact someone that can help me. Basically I'm stranded in my country without money since I used it to transfer to Japan , alone since my girlfriend (Japanese national) is in Japan and left in January and I didn't see her since and I can't get any help by the Japanese embassy in Italy. I had to move my student application to October and my CoE had been extended , I'm thinking that nobody in Japan does actually care about me and most importantly all the other students or workers stranded ; I need some help contacting someone that can really help, I'm stranded and also in a emergency situation so I need to come to Japan ASAP I'm open to do anything to be able to leave.
Please someone help
by Niccolò (guest)  

Re: Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/16 10:25
Hello. If you're having an emergency, did you try and contact the embassy? I would get in touch with someone from where you are currently staying at the embassy to see what they recommend you to. Sorry to hear about your situation, but there are lots of people who are uncertain during this time and only someone who has connections to Japan and where you are like an embassy may be your option.

I hope this info helps you and wish you good luck!
by TonyMontana1 rate this post as useful

Re: Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/16 10:49
If I'm understanding your situation correctly, you applied/were accepted to a study program in Japan, then the pandemic hit before you departed Italy? If that's the case, for legal purposes you probably wouldn't be classified as stranded outside Japan as stuck in your home country. If so, framing things as "nobody in Japan does actually care about me and most importantly all the other students or workers stranded" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's more that the Japanese government doesn't want people voluntarily choosing to immigrate into the country at this time in order to lessen the chance of coronavirus spread.

So it looks like you've got two potential problems:

1. Getting into Japan

If you weren't already a resident before the pandemic started, you've probably got an uphill fight here. As neither a Japanese resident nor a Japanese citizen, it's hard to make the case that you HAVE TO live in Japan. You have the legal right to live in your home country, and if you're a already an Italian resident, it's not like you're in Italy on vacation and being kept away from a house you own/property you're renting that's your normal residence.

Basically, you're asking for a special exemption to the travel/immigration restrictions that Japan has now, so you'd probably need to talk to the Japanese embassy in Italy (though it sounds like they haven't given you what you want), the Italian embassy in Japan, and/or an immigration lawyer.

2. uI'm stranded in my country without money since I used it to transfer to Japanv

How did you use all of your money to "transfer to Japan" before actually leaving Italy? Did you pre-pay fees to the school you were planning to go to? Pre-pay rent to an apartment landlord? Purchase airline tickets? If you're looking for refunds, you'll need to talk to the school, landlord, or airline. Again, depending on how cooperative/accommodating they are, you might need the services of a lawyer.

But if you're expecting the Japanese government to say "Oh, you spent all your cash before leaving your home country, and you haven't seen your girlfriend for a few months? OK then, we'll waive our coronavirus countermeasures for you," that's probably not going to happen.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/16 13:31
There's not many choices left. The best thing to do is to wait until Japan increases its testing capacity. Japan will be able to do 10,000 PCR tests in september, it will probably be enough for both business travellers and students.

Japan will need to reach 100,000 capacity a day for tourism to be revived. And this will not likely happen anytime soon without spending a lot of money. Japan conducts far fewer tests than any other developed country and they think its a good thing for reducing virus infections.

Every year, nearly 100,000 students come to Japan. There are some students who study in different terms. And because of covid-19, many students also change their mind and cancel the application. Hopefully there will be enough places left for the students who are waiting a long time and really need to go to Japan.
by anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/17 06:59
Like thousands of others in similar (and worse) situations in countries all over the world, your case is not special or exceptional. You are an Italian in Italy - get a job to pay your bills until you are allowed to travel. If that sounds harsh, it's not. There are people in much worse situations.
Even if you were allowed to board a flight, do you have a visa to enter the country? The visa waiver programme is suspended for most countries.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Student Stranded outside Japan 2020/7/25 19:47
Well I got gstrandedh in the US so Ifm really wondering when this thing is going to open again. I Literally was moving back to japan within a week before they closed everything. Job in place, housing in place.

I have zero possessions in the US now. Then I had to take out a new year lease just so I wouldnft be homeless with my daughter.. itfs almost unfurnished but I have a table for eating and a bed to sleep on. 🤷Š Donft see the point of putting much in there if I wonft be here too long. Will need to pay a break lease fee when I can move. But that will still gone out cheaper than staying in a hotel or furnished flat, airbnb, etc.

Had to find 2 random jobs to keep income flowing and thatfs barely meeting my bottom line. Highly skilled work is tough to come by in this economy..
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

reply to this thread