Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/18 12:21
I live in Aichi and am looking for hiking trails near public transportation.
It can be anywhere in the region.

I've posted to some Facebook hiking groups, but they were taken down.
They said the groups aren't for "asking advice" and only "contributing".
If you have any websites, forums, groups, etc that are more open please let me know :)

I'm willing to travel a fair distance.
So far I've been to...
Tateyama
Kamikochi
Gozaisho
But I'm happy to do smaller, less-known trails.
by B. Needham (guest)  

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/19 02:32
I would suggest to go to a local bookstore. You could either just buy a map or buy a book with hiking trails in it. Japanese love hiking. So there are lot if such books. Yes, they are in Japanese, but they normally come with a map, so if you study it a bit itfs possible to understand. My husband used to do it that way.

Alternatively at least in the Tokyo area, some railway companies have leaflets about suggested hiking trails.

With a bit of time and google translate itfs a great start.

Enjoy hiking in Aichi!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/19 02:39
Some of these border into mountain climbing but some of these seem more like hikes on a mountain. Since this guy is a real mountain climber I think he isn't feeling, but I think Mt. Ibusuki sounds like fun

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/hikes/japan-hikes/hiking-mt-ibuki-ibuk...

I like trails where there are plenty of actual bathrooms when you need them. He lists a bunch of other hikes and climbs as well.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/19 22:33
A lot of castles and castle ruins offer decent hiking opportunities.
-You can hike to Naegi Castle from Nakatsugawa Station.
-You can hike to Gifu Castle from Gifu Station (or take one of the frequent buses to the base of the castle and then hike up)
-You can hike to the ruins of Kanayama Castle from Akechi Station.

-You can hike to Yoro Falls from Yoro Station.

-In southern Mie, you can start at Odomari Station and hike the former Ise Kodo, as well as visit Onigajo and Hana no Iwaya to end at Arii Station.

Gozaisho (mountain) in Mie can be accessed from Yunoyama Onsen Station. From the station you can walk for 30 minutes or take a bus to the ropeway where you can hike around the mountain.

-The Nakasendo Stations are another good option, especially in southern Nagano (the Kiso Valley). You can hike from one station to another, and many of the former post towns are near train stations.

Sorry none of the above are in Aichi, but they are all accessible as daytrips from Aichi (southern Gifu, southern Nagano, Mie). Depending on what you mean by "hike", you can also plan a lot of your own hikes/walks to visiting tourist sites.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/20 08:56
I'm interpreting your post as meaning you are really interested in day trip type hikes, is that right?
In any case, there are some good suggestions and resources on
https://hikinginjapan.com

You can also look through
https://gurutabi.gnavi.co.jp/i/p23/gs20902/
but you may need it translated.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/20 11:39
In Kansai railroad companies like Hankyu publish books about hiking trails near their stations. Maybe the train companies in Achi do the same?
by /\ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/20 14:07
If you have android or apple you can check an app YAMAP
It is free to check but if you want to use full potential you pay 580 yen per month.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking trails near public transport 2020/7/27 10:17
Up to you, but there is plenty of free info online already. You might just have to run it through a translator though.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread