Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I spelling this tattoo correctly? 2020/7/27 01:25
So I love Japanese culture, and I’ve traveled to Japan. At one point I was good at speaking Japanese verbally, but was never too good at writing Japanese. I want to get tattooed “Is this a dream or reality?” on the back on my arm vertically placed. Is this written correctly? これは夢か現実か

I figured that I would use “ka” as “or” instead of “soretomo” because “a dream” and “reality” are both being used as nouns.

Lastly, do you think this is something weird to get tattooed? The meaning behind it to me is that sometimes I wake up from a dream and wonder if I am still dreaming or if I ever woke up in the first place. If you think it isn’t a good tattoo idea, do you have any other ideas for a quote in Japanese?
by Mary (guest)  

Re: Am I spelling this tattoo correctly? 2020/7/27 09:05
It seems like it could be correct, but sometimes words do have other meanings or Kanji and it may look strange if it's interpreted differently.

If you like having kanji tattood on you, more power to you, though just remember there are always multiple meanings for words. The real question is, do you NEED to get this tattoo? Obviously it's completely your choice, but sometimes life events change over time and you may not feel the need to have that written on you.

It's kind of like this: Words or phrases are special to you, even in another language, but other people may not understand what you're trying to say or misinterperet it. If you're fine with that possibility, then go for it.

by TonyMontana1 rate this post as useful

Re: Am I spelling this tattoo correctly? 2020/7/27 12:57
Is this written correctly? これは夢か現実か

Yes.

Lastly, do you think this is something weird to get tattooed?

Definitely yes, even without knowing what other inappropriate font you're intending to use.

If you think it isn’t a good tattoo idea, do you have any other ideas for a quote in Japanese?

No, but your English phrase, “Is this a dream or reality?” sounds nice to me as a tattoo. Also, if your experiences as a person lead you to a Japanese phrase of which English translation you love, then why not use that English version as a tattoo?

I'm a Japanese resident who love people with tattoos, if that helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Am I spelling this tattoo correctly? 2020/7/27 13:23
First of all, going literally, yes, you have it right. Using “soretomo” would make it even more stocky as a phrase/sentence.

In Japanese there is a different word (single word) that describes the condition of muddled consciousness where you are only half awake and not sure if you are awake or still in your dreams. Is this what you want? Then it is “夢うつつ” or “夢現つ” read “yume utsutsu.” It has a few different meanings, (1) dream and reality, and (2) the condition of being not sure (as described above).

And if you ask me (Japanese national currently living in Japan, have lived in English-speaking countries as well; have seen some kanji tattoos and many non-kanji tattoos), yes, I believe it is weird thing to get tattooed.

The questions that come up in my mind are: why would anyone want to get a tattoo in a language they don’t fully understand (with nuances and everything). Also, when it comes to actually getting it done, where would they get it tattooed at, meaning, would it be someone who knows calligraphy and can do it artistically and beautifully in a brushstroke style, or are they just going to get the phrase written in a textbook font turned into a picture (image) and hand it over to the artist to carve just the shape? What would they think if someone had “Is this dream or reality?” in English in bold Ariel/Times New Roman font straight down their arm/leg? It’s just those doubts that pop up in my mind.

But if you must, that is your own body.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Am I spelling this tattoo correctly? 2020/7/27 23:50
As someone who is heavily tattooed, knows eastern and western cultures, speaks Japanese and English, knows Japan, etc etc. I'll say the same thing I say to everyone who asks about Japanese tattoos: consult with a good tattoo artist who speaks Japanese as their native language and is fluent in English as a second language. Explain to them the meaning you want to convey, and then trust them to come up with something appropriate. If you have to travel to do this, then travel. A good tattoo is always worth it. Don't just pick some text and have a random tattoo shop do it for you. Sit down and have a conversation with someone who knows their stuff. There's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo in a language you don't speak. I have a tattoo in Latin. I don't speak a lick of Latin. It's fine, but you need to work with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Good luck and I hope you end up with the tattoo you really want.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread