Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/28 13:20
Travelled from gala Yuzawa-Tokyo 5th Feb and left for Australia the next day. Notice we had lost a small bright blue coin bag. It contained about 10000 yen. I acknowledge it has been a long time since this occurred just wondering. We did check our hotel who looked at their ctv footage and it was not there. We did get money out for refreshments on the Shinkansen. We left about 10.00am that morning many thanks Steve
by steve ward (guest)  

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/28 15:53
You need to contact JR with the train details - date, time, train number and name if you can - and see if they have it in lost property. It has bene several months though, so they may not be able to help.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/28 17:32
Railway companies keep them in their lost & found centers usually for a week or two, after which they pass it on to the nearest police. The police keeps the items for three months. Sorry about your lost item, but it is better to act quickly.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/28 23:11
The website below may be of help. Post here again if you have trouble reading prefecture names.
https://www.npa.go.jp/bureau/soumu/ishitsubutsu/otoshimono/en/index.ht...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/28 23:26
too late. storage term is 3 months at maximum.
don't bother them.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/29 07:38
10,000 yen, after this length of time - I agree, don't bother.
It might have ended up at the JR L&F in Itabashi (I think that's where things for JR East end up). We've done a couple of lost item recoveries for things people left on trains, but always immediately, and even then it is time consuming. One we spent the most time on (phone), we were actually advised after a few days to not bother as it became complex between the guest's insurance company and my staff hunting it down after they had left the country.
Even the last item I recovered for someone was same day (a phone in Kyoto), and for lost bag/wallets, reporting to the local koban at the time would have been recommended.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/7/29 20:05
Although i mentioned it on my last years trip report, i post it again here as an experience regarding lost stuff.

Last year we took a day trip from Osaka to Fukui dinosaur museum.

Our first train ride using the Thunderbird it was somewhat unusual - due the bad whether the train ride from Osaka to Fukui took about 3-4 hours instead of 2. During that time my mother took some photos, slept little bit and probably during that period the phone slipped between the seat cushions (i am not 100% sure, but that was the most realistic cause). Mother discovered, that her phone is missing, when we were already on the local train bound to Katsuyama.

Well, our visit to museum was somewhat nervous, mainly due the fact that while the phone was old and cheap Samsung it still had a lot of trip photos.

When we arrived back to Fukui i immediatelly rushed to JR office to make a case about the lost phone. I provided the train number, carriage and seat number. JR employee was very helpful; although her english was basic we managed to fill the document using italian style speech (talking with hands :-) ) and some Tamagochi size electronic translation device. I wrote down my hotel address in Osaka, my departure date, said thank you and hoped for the best. In the evening mother wrote to her diary - "dear phone, please come back!"

About 2 days later early morning around 6:00 i heard a hotel room phone ringing. I answered the call, heard some japanese not very understandable mumbling and hanged up the phone :-). About 10 minutes later the phone was ringing again. This time i heard something like "lost phone, lost phone".
I rushed to the receiption area. Hotel employee explained, that (probably) JR has found a phone, it is in Kanazawa, do i agree that they ship it to my hotel in Osaka, price would be about 2000 yen. I said - yes, that is OK, paid 2000 yen in cash in advance, no receipt (was worried little bit whether the shipping price is "inflated" or not). 2 days later the phone arrived, shipping was only about 800 yen, got receipt and rest of the money back.
Mother was HAPPY, rest of the trip in Japan was in high mood.
I also wrote a thank you e-mail to JR West and praised the JR West and JR Fukui team.

So the morale regarding lost stuff is to be CALM and act FAST and be prepared, that the officials might not send the lost stuff back to abroad. Also, as usual, keep your important stuff near the body (documents, wallet etc).

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/8/4 13:13
sorry for your loss, most of the cases the fast you react better the results would be. its been five months already so you should lose hope. if you got any luck to try Railway companies where they usually keep found things on lost & found centers or any near restaurants.
by Astabago rate this post as useful

Re: I lost a bright blue purse/ money bag? 2020/8/6 05:13
You need to contact to the nearest station.
by violaparkinson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread