Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/10 16:50
Hi!
Current in Japan and wanting to apply for change of status (to Spouse Visa) From temporary I rang Tokyo immigration and they said all good, can try to apply. Lady was kind and helpful.
Though is one question I have and I canft get through to them on the phone.. wanted to know! ASAP!!

I have around 5 months left on my passport. And wanted to apply for Change of Status as soon as possible!
(So to get a new passport.. Will take a couple of weeks.. If I get one.. but it will be cutting it close! and I wonft have much time to apply the change of status, always a chance for some reason if any passport takes more than a month or more to receive it might be too late for me to apply, but thatfs in worst cause)

Has anyone had any problems? when you apply? Would they only give 5 months more? Or will they accept application with passport that will expire in 5 months?
Does the passport, have to have 1 year at least? For doing any change of status applications?

I assume Ifll get 1 year, as most people I know have when itfs first time for (spouse visa)
But just wondering about the passport validity.
Thanks!!
by Ice man2  

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 07:29
Passports are travel documents - the length of time you have remaining on it is largely irrelevant to your resident status unless you are on a temporary visitor status.
As for issuance time for a passport, depends on the bureaucracy of your country - my last one took a couple of weeks, and was processed in a consulate on the other side of the world (an earthquake incapacitated the usual office), but I know other countries take longer (months). If you're not travelling, you don't actually need a passport if you have a valid residential status.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 08:06
Ifm an at the moment on temporary visitor status. So still I wonder if having 5 months left on my passport will effect, my application of change of status to Spouse Visa.
by Ice man2 rate this post as useful

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 08:53
The first response answered your question.

As for your near expiring passport. Since you aren't a permanent citizen. Getting a new passport seems like a good idea.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 09:07
Thanks h!
I still wasnft sure.. As I under the impression that as I need a passport that is valid for 1 year before I can apply the change of status.
But I couldnft find any information on the immigration website about it.

Also as I donft have a resendents card( as Ifm only on temporary visitor visa (90 days plus one extension) I thought it might be different. Then someone who is on a student/work visa for example.

Yes! I want to get a new passport soon. If

But if I Can use my current passport (with 5 months left) For the change of status, from temporary to spouse. I would rather do that.
And if I get the change to spouse, Ifll get a new passport after that.

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 09:55
Cool, I had also similar situation long back. 5 months period on passport is enough. Dont worry. YOur visa will be renewed within a month normally.
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/11 10:13
Oh! Really? You also had 5 months left?^^
Though I was curious if you Were on temporary visitor visa??^^
Good to hear went well for you.

Though I rang immigration, just 10mins ago.
And through a translator ( I can speak enough Japanese to get by but with important matters..)

And the lady said it was no problem from tourist visa to spouse, if I only have 5 months remaining on passport!
Good to hear! But just I like to double or triple check!!

As If I needed a passport with more than 1 year, I would have too book pretty much today( to make appointment ) then wait up to 3 weeks. Which if the passport didnft come, I might be in trouble lol.

As with me bring from Australia.. If I had to go back, who knows when I would be able to return!~

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/12 06:49
As a temporary visitor status you are required to have your passport with you at all times, and it needs to be valid for the duration of stay - one day left is ok.
When you do your change of status application you need to submit a bunch of documents, but you should get a notarised document/copy for ID purposes. It happens for renewals and I usually have a flimsy bit of paper in my bag for ID for the month or so for the renewal process to take place.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Passport validity when change of status 2020/8/12 07:54
Yes bro, you can renew here in your consulate. Simple. You have still five months validity. Nothing wrong....
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread