Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can a 16 year old renew their own passport? 2020/8/12 22:55
I am 16 years old and I need help renewing my passport. I am a Japanese Citizen. I have a Japanese Passport. I didn't grew up in Japan. I don't know the language and I just wanna leave and move to my old country. My mother is abusive and does not care about me, she wants me to leave, but won't help me renew my passport. I want to know if I can do it by myself without any guardian or parents' approval. I have the money, but I'm not sure if I can do it by myself. Thank you.
by Maria (guest)  

Re: Can a 16 year old renew their own passport? 2020/8/13 12:37
Speak to your local Japanese embassy. Most will have some English speakers there as well
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can a 16 year old renew their own passport? 2020/8/13 16:32
Most likely not.

As a minor, you would need to get a lot of supporting documents from a court allowing you to renew it without a guardian.

Or wait until you are 18 and do it yourself.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a 16 year old renew their own passport? 2020/8/13 16:43
In Japan, you need to be 20 or older to be legally independent, not 18.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a 16 year old renew their own passport? 2020/8/13 17:31
If someone 19 years old or younger wishes to renew his/her Japanese passport, he/she would need a signature from a lawful parent or an equivalent.
https://www.pref.kanagawa.jp/osirase/02/2315/kirikae.html

Additionally, a proper guardian is required for anyone, moreover a minor, to live in Japan. And this is all for your own good, because a 16 year old is very unlikely to survive in Japan (or any foreign country) without the aid of proper adults. What I am saying is that, you may be able to run away from your abusive parent, but you could be abused by another adult in Japan.

Have you asked for help in your own country? Have you asked your city hall? How about your school teacher? Usually, there are public services such as shelters to help teenagers who are being abused. Don't turn to the wrong people.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread