Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work for Japan company with SOFA status? 2020/8/13 17:33
I am currently in Japan under SOFA status as a dependent for my husband who is in the USMC. I have been offered a job with the company I worked for in the US, but this is under their Japan entity. Does my SOFA status cover me to work for a private Japanese company?

I was told that I would have to denounce my SOFA status if they were to sponsor me with a work visa.

If the answer is yes, you can work for a Japanese company with your SOFA status, what is they way you show identification/proof if there is a need for it?
by Kathryn Roche (guest)  

Re: Work for Japan company with SOFA status? 2020/8/14 13:46
Hmmm... I vaguely remembered that this question had been asked before, and it has:
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+172827
But the reply was ranging from yes to no. However asking the legal advise on base kind of sounds like a good starting point.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Work for Japan company with SOFA status? 2020/8/14 14:44
I would be asking either Immigration or the base for the specific details, just to make sure you get the right answer.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread