Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan with college diploma 2020/8/23 08:46
Hello,

I have been planning to move to Japan permanently to live and work there. I want to work in the film/tv/video production industry, preferably helping produce animated work. I attended a 3 year college film/tv program in Canada (my home country) and I plan to go to language school in Tokyo for 1 year, then look for work. Would I be able to get hired with just that?
I've done a lot of research and found really conflicting stuff and I could never find anything relating to my situation, so I'm asking here.
I don't want to teach, I have no interest in that. Do I still need a bachelors degree? A lot of the stuff I found in my research said that you need a bachelors, but sooo many articles are related to people wanting teaching jobs, which does not apply to me. Either that or its just info about working holidays, which is not what I am interested in.
If 4 years of education is required, does that mean 4 years total at post secondary institutions or 4 years at one university? Is it feasible to attend and graduate from a 2 year program at a vocational school in Japan? Would that degree paired with my 3 year diploma from Canadian college be suitable to get a work visa? If thats a no go, is there any way I'd be able to get a job in Japan thats not a teaching job with just a college diploma from my home country and a diploma from Japanese school?
I did an internship in Japan last year, and my foreigner co worker said that going to Japanese school and then looking for a job from there would be enough. I interned at a video production company, so I was thinking maybe this industry is not so strict with the education requirements. (But I don't know his education history in his home country)

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.
by gothpeach  

Re: Working in Japan with college diploma 2020/8/23 12:32
You need a bachelor's degree and/or a good amount of experience for what is commonly known as a work visa.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan with college diploma 2020/8/28 12:15
If you want to find a job in Japan, you should at least complete an A.A. degree in Japan. You can attend Senmongakkou in Japanese, or you can attend American Universities, such as Temple and Lakeland University Japan Campus. However, there are limited types of works and also they can ask previous working experience in a working field that you are going to apply. I would prefer to apply for the B.A. at least in Japan and learn Japanese. As in Japan, there are many graduate students, who know at least three languages, and with pretty good working experiences in Japan. Consequently, competing with them is not easy thing, you should have at least something that is better than them. Otherwise, you will get a refusal (even if you are Canadian, it says nothing for Immigration; they need qualifications, degree, and working experiences). I hope this can be useful to you.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan with college diploma 2020/8/29 05:59
If 4 years of education is required,
A bachelors degree is not a four year course - three years is plenty in many countries - it's the qualification/level, not duration that counts.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan with college diploma 2020/8/29 06:12
A bachelor's degree is not a work visa requirement. If you have a degree in film, even just an AA, then you meet the minimum educational requirement for a visa.

Finding an employer in the film industry willing to sponsor you with low qualifications is the more difficult task.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread