Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 03:51
Hello Everyone,

On the MOFA Japanese page https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/ca/fna/page4_005130.html under the "ŒŸ‰u‚Ì‹­‰»" #2, they talk about êŠ (English version: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html under the Quarantine measures, #2 point).

1. It is a little unclear to me if this is enforced somehow or just recommended to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (to clarify: I am not looking for a way out of the quarantine. I am happy to do it, as this is the right thing to do)
2. Does anyone know what is that designated location to quarantine upon arrival?
3. Is it a location at/nearby the airport (HND or NRT).
4. Is it a hotel/hostel of their choice or do I have the freedom to book a hotel nearby?

Regards,

MrZaggy
by MrZaggy  

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 09:48
Just found the following additional information in the PDF linked on the Japan Consulate SF page https://www.sf.us.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100069136.pdf (I quote):

(1) All people from the U.S. (including Japanese nationals and those foreign nationals permitted to land
in Japan as a result of their exceptional circumstances) will be required to take COVID-19 tests in
Japan. It may take up to 2 days to get your results and you must, in principle, stay at a designated
location while you wait for the results.

(2) They will also be required to self-quarantine at their home/place of accommodation for 14 days after
entering Japan. In addition, those people will be required to refrain from using public transportation
(including trains, buses, taxis, or domestic flights) in Japan for 14 days after their arrival. You should
secure accommodations where you can stay for 14 days and private transportation from the airport
to your destination. These restrictions will be in effect until August 31, 2020.

Things will change soon, I assume.
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 10:02
Or until the MOFA updates the same information with a date expiring Sept 30, 2020.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 10:18
The test procedures have become faster since that document was published. These days it usually takes 2-3 hours to get the test results, although it can take 6+ hours on busy days. During that time you are supposed to wait in a waiting room inside the airport.

The following is for Kansai Airport, but I think the situation is similar at Narita and Haneda airports:
https://www.forth.go.jp/keneki/kanku/kansaikokusaikuukounigotoutyakusa...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 11:07
Thank you, Uji.

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/30 11:41
Thank you . guest

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/31 07:35
I know someone that went through the process in July.
- They were tested on arrival, and then bused to one of the Narita airport hotels. They got their result the following day/morning.
- They then transferred to an approved quarantine hotel location in Tokyo by private car (no public transport). Many of the approved hotel locations were around Shinagawa, but they stayed in Asakusa. Hotel cost was at their own expense.
- They were moved each three days in the hotel so the hotel could do room cleaning/sanitation. After 14 days they were allowed to head home.

From the advisories/information available (that I have seen), not much has changed in the last couple of months.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Location designated by the quarantine chief 2020/8/31 07:53
Cheers JapanCustomTours.

Based on your reply, are you able to provide a little more insight into the following:

- "They then transferred to an approved quarantine hotel location in Tokyo by private car (no public transport)." - Was the transfer to Tokyo-based location a personal desire of your acquaintance?

- Is it possible to continue staying at one of the Narita airport hotels, without transferring to Tokyo-based accommodation? I really have no business in Tokyo after arrival and would prefer to stay near the airport for the quarantine time, so that I can take a domestic flight after the 14 days.

Regards

reply to this thread