Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/14 01:32
Hey there,

I am planing to visit Japan for a whole year after the Coronavirus problem is gone or at least weakened.

My question is:
I want to stay in a budget and lonely mountain hut for some month to cut myself off from civilization for some month and collect some inspirational thoughts and enjoy the isolation in the nature. (No AirBnbs because they are too expansive)

Do you know some areas and huts in the japanese alps where I can implement my plans or do you know some organizations who can help me out with my plans?

Thank you so much in regards, it means a lot for me. And when you have any other hints and tips for my journey, i would love to hear them!

Kind regards,
Aly

by Alyzimy (guest)  

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/14 18:56
As far as I know, most of the mountain huts are for mountain climbers and they are not like hotels. You just get a bed to sleep for a few hours. No private room, no amenities. Other people will be sleeping in other beds, so you would actually have more people around you than normal accommodations.

There are cottages and other such places that can be rented, but they cost money.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/14 20:33
I am planing to visit Japan for a whole year after the Coronavirus problem is gone or at least weakened.

What kind of visa will you have? I could imagine only WHV could allow for this. (are you eligible for it?) Because I assume from your question that you are not rich , in order to be able to apply to the specially long tourist visa.

Also the huts in the Alps are for hikers and close in winter. And they are full of people. So not really remote in that sense. They are also not necessarily cheap.

Maybe you can find some mountain lodge closer to your home country and get the remote experience there.

In Japan probably the remotest you can get are villages with only a few inhabitants. But they donft cater for tourists. So unless you buy an akiya it will be difficult. And the problem of the visa remains, unless you have a Japanese passport.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/14 21:40
Out of curiosity, what are you exactly looking for, and what is your budget?
A full mountain hut for yourself, or just a single room in a shared house? With running water, electricity, or you don't care for such amenities?
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/15 00:21
From what I remember a lot of Mountain Huts meant for climbers are more expensive than cheap hostels and business hotels in quieter parts of Japan. As an example, this mountain hut: http://katanokoya.com/stay.html is 8700 yen with 2 meals. I can't imagine not paying for the meals since otherwise you have to bring all your food with you or spend a lot of time hiking back and forth to get meals because it is in the mountains.

I've seen some cheap temple accommodations, but they still tend to be more than going for the cheapest hostels.

I've seen some cheap campgrounds, but you would need to look into getting a tent and renting that as well as all equipment you might need for camping and then manage to get it all to the campground. It's possible but it is honestly set up more for people who live in Japan and want to go camping.

However, there are plenty of cheap hostels and hotels. If those are too expensive for you, I think you should shorten your trip so that you have more money for accommodations.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/15 07:52
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000738.html
Note the requirement for 30 million yen in savings (cash, not just assets) for a stay up to six months.
For a "cheap" stay in a remote location renting a house might be a viable alternative, but you run into the problems of (a) finding such a property, and (b) that the owner would actually rent it to you for a short term.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/20 14:06
Only stayed in a "mountain hut" a couple of times. Both were large rooms with lots of bunks filled with loud snoring people. I take a bivy or small tent now and have camped out in the woods near a hut when it was getting late taking it down early. On some summit areas there are shelter huts in case you get caught in a storm that have concrete floors and stone walls, but day hikers seem to flow through these all the time also.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mountain Hut for long stay 2020/9/21 07:01
I want to stay in a budget and lonely mountain hut for some month to cut myself off from civilization
As an observation, given your stated objective, you could do that in many countries and it does not need to be Japan to achieve that. I am reminded of one of my professors from university - he rented a cabin in New York state for several months to write/finish his PhD thesis (which worked for him because there wasn't much else to do due to the snow outside).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread