Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/15 15:24
Hello, I am on the engineering, humanities, etc status of residence and I was wondering if personal projects that have potential monetary gain is allowed with this status or if I would need the permission to engage in activities outside status of residence. So for example, something that would definitely be allowed if I were doing this for a company such as web, game, application development, etc.

Note that this is about what is allowed on my current status of residence and not related to renewing the status, etc, since I am employed full time at a company, maintaining the status and renewal isn't an issue.

I tried to look into this myself but couldn't find a clear answer. From what I can see this status of residence allows working for "–{–M‚ÌŒöŽ„‚Ì‹@ŠÖ" which translates as Japan-based public and private institutions. And I found a site that claims that an individual, as a ŒÂlŽ–‹ÆŽå (sole proprietor) is actually considered a ‹@ŠÖ(an institution). So this would imply that personal projects, even with monetary gain, would not be outside the activities of the visa. However, I'm not fluent in Japanese or law so I would like to see if anyone knows the answer to this or has had experience with it.
by disastorm  

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/15 22:54
your understanding is wrong.
you can be hired by a ŒÂlŽ–‹ÆŽå, but you can't be ŒÂlŽ–‹ÆŽå.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/15 23:12
ah I see thanks. So in that case regardless of whether the activity itself is covered under the status, if it is not for any particular company, the permission to engage in activities outside the visa is needed?
by disastorm rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/16 09:50
immigration expects that you are employed and work in the designated category. otherwise, you need to have a permission from them.

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/16 19:59
I was on engineer visa. So I have some knowledge on this. If you are employed full time, then it will be outside activity on the current visa. You cannot start KOJIN(ŒÂlŠé‹Æ) activity at present. If you have PR, then you can do full time job and you can do KOJIN as well and do (Šm’è\) during Feb and March.
I was doing both KOJIN and regular job after I got PR.
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/17 15:07
I see thanks, its good to see someone with direct experience. Do you happen to know if there are any limitations by which it wouldn't be considered Kojin and would be allowed? I've heard something about hobbies being allowed? For example, would anyone selling something on mercari or etsy be considered a Kojin (I'm not planning on this, just an example)?
by disastorm rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/18 14:47
By the way, what is a PR?
by Ryan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/18 15:07
PR = permanent resident
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/18 17:57
generally speaking, hobbies means no earning, similar to voluntary and intern.
since you are looking for some backdoor, ask professionals.
about tax : accountant
about immigration : immigration lawyer
they will advise you. but, I expect the answers may vary depending on persons.

Re: Engineer, permission for personal projects? 2020/9/21 08:41
Since you are employed full time. Does your current contract allow you to do outside work? If you want to do outside private paid activity, then you must do kakutei shinkoku. Please check with immigration. When I was on engineer visa, I was not suppose to do any outside activities. You can do multiple activities after getting PR
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread