Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/16 14:33
Hi guys, I am at the beginning steps of Naturalization process. I am preparing my documents and have meeting with my caseworker at the legal affairs office regularly but the process goes very slow. I prepared almost all of my documents from my country but my spouse couldnft be on time because of COVID-19. My caseworker insists to wait for my spouse documents but we want to start mine as soon as possible. Is it possible to start one application alone, wife or husband?
Another point is about Japanese skills. What if one of the applicants, wife or husband is not good enough at Japanese. If one pass the interview well enough and the other one couldnft what would happen to the results? Any thoughts? Thank you all.
by Guest25  

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/16 23:15
why don't you follow the officer ?
I think this kind of application are expected to be done with a whole family.
you may misunderstand that it is some kind of "visa (resident) application".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/16 23:26
Thanks for the reply.
We will follow the officer for sure. What I am worried is about interview and Japanese language skill. What if one in the family canft communicate well in Japanese? Any impact on family applicants/result?
Thanks
by Guest25 rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/17 00:27
what is your purpose ?
if you want to be a Japanese, you are expected to speak Japanese.
otherwise, your life is inconvenient. also, if you will have the next generations, they will have problems too.
you have to abandon your original nationality. after you have done, you still don't understand Japanese well, then, who are you ?

you should not naturalize to Japan, just because Japan is better than your country.
you have to realize that you will cross "the bridge of no return" by naturalization.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/17 13:14
Thank you for reply. Learning Japanese is an essential but please think wider. Not all of family members here have this chance to learn Japanese at the same level. Some non Japanese mothers who are taking care of their children donft have time and money to invest on Japanese language. They might learn Japanese but not at that level to read and write kanji! What do you suggest about them!

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/17 13:48
Personally I would suggest they wait and get better at Japanese. What's the rush to naturalise? Why become a citizen of a country if you can't speak the language well? Presumably you all have stable, long-term residency. You aren't going to be sent home. It would be fine to wait a while.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/17 14:42
Guest25, I have to agree with LIZ. Why become a Japanese citizen without a knowledge of the language? It makes no sense. There is no "need" to naturalise - visa options are available, particularly if you are discussing a mother, who is presumably on a spouse visa - and if they want to become a Japanese citizen, I would expect a decent level of Japanese language ability. You do have to give up your other citizenship/s to become Japanese - there is no dual citizenship - and that seems pointless if you don't speak the language.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization as a couple (non Japanese) 2020/9/17 14:57
Thank you guys. You were helpful.

reply to this thread