Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When can couples meet? 2020/9/30 21:32
Hello everyone,

Since COVID-19 entered all of our lives I haven't been able to visit and see my Japanese girlfriend in Tokyo, Japan. I have been to Japan several times as a tourist, but this time it has nothing to do with tourism...

I am from Denmark and she's a doctor in Japan. From a pure professional point of view, she cannot leave the country, but I cannot enter either. In Denmark one of the first laws that were made during the beginning of COVID-19 was that husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends and close relatives could visit each other as long as they had been dating for more than 6 months and could prove this by photos, written messages or something alike. Of cause family is family nothing really to prove there. Hehe.

For how long do we as a couple have to suffer? I am not going to visit Japan to go site-seeing, but purely to see her and be with her. Even these "new" (October) rules doesn't cover the kind of situation that we are in. Any help would be amazing if you should know somekind of loophole or alike.

Best regards,
Morten.
by Morten (guest)  

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 06:55
No decisions have been made on when temporary visitors will be allowed back into Japan. My guess is that larger numbers of them will be allowed back in in around a year, i.e. after the Olympics, but this is pure speculation.

However, I understand that Japanese nationals can enter the EU. On return to Japan she would have to undergo a 2-week quarantine, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 08:13
When it happens it happens. They rest of the world has borders locked in various way. So Japans situation is not a unique one.

It is difficult for Europeans to understand as their borders zone are loose to 3-4 surrounding countries in most cases.

Japan like many countries around the globe doesnt have neighbouring border of land. Islands create natural safe zones. But also those safe zone are more difficult to cross.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 10:00
Sadly there are no loopholes. Your situation is no different to that of a tourist, so you will be allowed into Japan when other tourists are. I am hoping that it will be by next summer, but back in March I was confident that I would be able to go ahead with my planned June trip (nope), then when that got postponed I thought I would definitely be able to go in November (nope). Honestly who knows when it will be? I can't see it not being next year, but I've been wrong twice before, so don't listen to me, and don't listen to anyone else either, because we just don't know. All we can do is wait and hope that it will be not too much longer.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 14:38
Well, if you’d plan to live together in Japan you could now actually start to apply for COE and would be allowed to relocate to Japan:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/30/national/social-issues/en...

But that is not your situation, I guess.

So for the moment the only possibility is for her to come to Denmark, but as on her return she would need to do 2 weeks of quarantine, it needs a lot of PTO for people who can’t work from home.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 14:57
That could actually work, because I am planning to move there next year! Just not entirely sure on when exactly, but it will happen. One thing I did not want to turn to was a super none romantic proposal just in order for me to get in, and of cause for us to be together. It is kind of funny how the government wants people to date/get married/get kids, but nothing shows any support towards love/couples or alike.

So that information is quite useful! Thank you!

If anyone knows more then I would love the information.
by Morten (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 16:22
「the government wants people to date/get married/get kids, but nothing shows any support towards love/couples or alike」
The Japanese government currently provides a grant of 300,000 yen to newlywed couples to help support the cost of moving in together. That amount is being doubled next year. Does that still mean they "show no support towards couples?"

「For how long do we as a couple have to suffer? I am not going to visit Japan to go site-seeing, but purely to see her and be with her. Even these "new" (October) rules doesn't cover the kind of situation that we are in.」
The new rules do cover your situation: if you're a non-resident with a boyfriend or girlfriend living in Japan, that doesn't qualify you for entry into the country at the current time. That may not be a rule you like, but your situation is covered. It's not like the government is saying "Oh, you have a Japanese girlfriend? We're not sure...fly to Japan first, and we'll decide whether nor not to let you in after you arrive at the airport."
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/1 22:22
in Japan, simply under the words of love each other, the government does not allow that a man escapes from many legal responsibilities for a woman.

your relationship is just nothing legally at all.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When can couples meet? 2020/10/2 07:18
Your GF (and residents of Japan) can leave and return with recently announced changes - that is covered above. The 14-day quarantine and various testing requirements make that unattractive.
For your coming to Japan, either you are married, or not. As you are not married, you would not be allowed for a stay based on a relationship. You would be allowed to apply for a status of residence 3-months or longer such as student or work, but at the moment you would essentially simply be a tourist and not permitted to enter Japan at the moment.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread