Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 10:18
How probable is it that the borders for (European and American) tourists will be closed for a lot of years?

I really do not want to wait so many years until I can see my parents in law again..
by Calvin (guest)  

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 11:18
Many more years? Doubtful. Japan is still planning to go ahead with the Olympics next year. There will likely be a vaccine by next autumn, though it is hard to say when.

According to the WHO, next summer at the earliest.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/04/who-says-widespread-coronavirus-vaccin...

Then you need a whole distribution system for the vaccines, if not done through normal channels.
Of course what country you are coming from might make things a lot sooner or later as to when you can fly to Japan.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 11:36
No one knows. One month or one year.

It is a fluid situation so plans always change and can onky be implimented late.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 12:40
It is very improbable. The government is recognizing that international movement is needed despite the virus, and is working on a gradual reopening.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 13:02
No one can possibly answer your question with any certainty. However, it is extremely unlikely to be a matter of years.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/1 14:35
Actually Japan is starting to OPEN its boarders from Oct.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/30/national/social-issues/en...

Admittedly not for tourists at this moment, but for future residents.
Next in line will be likely business travelers and then tourists.

But yes, your question is totally unanswerable.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 07:26
Out-bound tourism for Japanese residents is opening up, so your in-laws could visit you.
How probable the borders will remain closed for years - actually pretty unlikely. Another year is probable/possible - depends on the restrictions and what happens in the next 6-12 months. We just have to wait and see.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 08:04
But how likely is it to take years if a vaccine is not found?
by Calvin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 08:14
Sorry to be callous everyone - but it's best not to respond to questions that can't be answered accurately. The poster has already been given the most accurate answer for the present.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 08:32
Only guesses

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 10:04
@mfedley Agree - no possible answer from an internet forum! Speculation isn't helpful.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 19:35
Japan's economy has been stagnant for years. The government and businesses and planning for and want to promote growth. Tourism from western countries is a big part of that plan. If the borders are shut for "many many years" then the effects on parts of the economy will be disastrous.

These are only the facts. I'm not saying they definitely won't stay closed for many more years, but...
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 20:22
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/2 22:52
I fear only athletes will be able to come then :(

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/3 04:09
The games are well under a year away, it's very possible that only athletes will be allowed in, it's also possible that the borders open to tourists before the end of next year too. These things are not mutually exclusive. Both can happen. In fact some would argue that that is the most likely scenario (I count myself among them).

One thing is for certain, fretting over what will happen isn't going to change anything. Maybe the Japanese government turn around and say we can all visit Japan starting tomorrow, but if they do then it won't have been because of you worrying about it. None of us can control this situation. For those of us who really really want to return, patience is our best friend. Personally I'm using the extra time to save more money to make my next trip (which will be more or less as soon as the borders reopen) even better.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Borders probably closed for many many years? 2020/10/3 06:41
@Calvin I fear only athletes will be able to come then :(
It seems you have made up your mind in the negative, and irrespective of the answers and information posted here and elsewhere, you choose not to look at this logically.
A vaccine may not be developed or be effective (and no one should rely on that as a solution), and much of the population in some countries will not get vaccinated anyway. Even after some of the worst pandemics in history, people still traveled. It is not like Japan is going to return to the isolation policy that lasted 214 years.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread