Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/6 10:30
I’ve been staying here in Japan for almost a year now. Even though taking buses and trains are common, I realized that there may come a time where I would need to ride a bicycle to get to my destination. I am in my early twenties, who doesn’t know how to ride a bike. I’ve thought about this for a while and I really want to learn it. However, I don’t have friends who live nearby to teach me how. Also, I don’t own a bike yet. If I were to own one, would I be judged by other people, especially kids who are very skilled in riding them, if I ever practice on my own at the nearby park? I assume it was not a common sight for them to see an adult struggling with bicycle at her age. Are cycling parks common in Japan? Where would it be acceptable to learn how to ride one? Any comments would be appreciated.
by lrmv  

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/6 13:26
I know that might be one of those "easier said than done" situations. But just do it, kids will be kids, they may laugh and whatnot but just don't care about it focus in the task in front of you.

Put some music on if you need to... and if ultimately you feel like you are super conscious about it, just ask of your friends to hang out with you at the park. Going during the night would be better as well.
by Felipe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/6 17:16
Riding a bike is about balance. So keep peddling and the turning wheels will help keep you up. (It is physics) Practice on grass so it does not hurt if you fall down. Remember it is not the number of times you fall down, it is the number of times you get up. (A little motivation) If the park has a little hill, try coasting down the hill without peddling. Aim straight and know how to put on the brakes.
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/6 19:49
Practice at night when there are fewer people about.

Please understand, it's not that I personally believe that not being able to ride a bike as an adult is something to be ashamed of (though I do think all adults should learn, so good on you), so I'm not telling you to hide it from people because it's a bad thing. It's just that if you are self-conscious about being judged then that is absolutely going to make you worse at learning to ride. I also learned quite late (though not in my 20s) and I remember time and time again trying to balance while thinking about the fact that I was being watched by everyone in the neighbourhood. I just couldn't do it. Started practicing in my back garden where nobody but family could see and had it in no time.

If you don't think about it too much it's super easy, way easier than learning to swim as an adult in my opinion. Once you get it you will wonder why you didn't start earlier. It's super fun, convenient, and cheap. Not to mention environmentally responsible. So just do it, if you're worried about being seen then do it at a time and place where you won't be, it will help you learn faster. Be safe and enjoy yourself.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/6 22:05
Actually, it's best if you have a friend who can assist you in learning how to ride a bicycle. In fact, it would be a good excuse to befriend someone, or to invite a far-away friend for a day or two and buy lunch in return and to get to know the friend.

About the bike itself, you can rent one at almost any prefecture. Use a bike that allows you to easily touch the ground with the soles of your feet while sitting on the saddle AND keeping your knees straight. If you could only barely touch the ground, it would be dangerous. If you can bend your knees while touching the ground, that means that the saddle is too low for a beginner to keep balanced. On most bikes, saddles are adjustable. Before riding, make sure you know how that particular bike works (adjusting saddles, how the breaks work, etc.), because each bike can be slightly different.

When starting to ride, do it like you're sitting on the bike but walking, with your feet kicking the ground. Then when you think you can balance, lift your feet off the ground. The longer you can keep your feet off the ground, the more you can ride properly.

I think you'll feel safe if you can find a paved path with grass on both sides of the path. Actually, the trick is to learn how to fall, before learning how to ride. That way, you won't be afraid of falling, and you'll know how to not hurt yourself when falling. That would encourage you to practice more.

Let kids laugh at you. There is a first time for everything. Whoever laughs at you will some day find themselves doing something for the first time and regret it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/7 01:31
Having someone who can keep your bike straight at the beginning, or give you a push to get started (physically, I mean, because imo the most difficult part is gaining speed in the first seconds) would help a lot.

I did not often ride a bike when I was a child, and only started again last year. I'm still uncomfortable when removing a hand from the handlebar, even for a few seconds, to remove my hat, for example. And I still fall sometimes when hitting a sidewalk at a wrong angle. I am so used to falling that I am not afraid anymore haha. Never had a serious bruise, but I'm not going fast.

For your safety and others, it would be a good idea to practice when there are not too many people. You might fall, or steer abruptly in an unexpected direction, and crash into someone by accident.
Don't despair ! Being able to ride a bicycle is really convenient. Also, choose a day where there is no wind.

Not sure you will have much choice on your practice ground, unless you have a car or your local train/bus line accepts bicycles.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/7 07:54
Depending where you are, you can get free lessons. For example:
https://tokyofamilies.net/2017/02/want-to-get-your-child-started-on-a-...
It mentions it covers adults.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/7 12:57
I was in the exact same situation as you were. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I came to Japan and was already an adult (I grew up in a town in America with many hills and no friends who lived in the same neighborhood, so I never had an incentive to learn to ride a bike as a kid).

「If I were to own one, would I be judged by other people, especially kids who are very skilled in riding them, if I ever practice on my own at the nearby park? I assume it was not a common sight for them to see an adult struggling with bicycle at her age.」

No one is going to "judge" you, in the sense that no one is going to think "An adult who can't ride a bike? How shameful. They shouldn't even try - it makes me feel bad to see them struggling, and so I am offended." So you can put your mind at ease on that one.

On the other hand, people who notice you struggling to ride will most likely be surprised, simply because riding a bike is a skill that most people acquire as kids, and if they somehow make it to adulthood without learning, it's not something they're likely to try to learn at that point.

Adults won't point and laugh at you, but some might chuckle to themselves if they see you (that makes them jerks, even by Japanese standards, but, well, some people are jerks). Kids are more likely to openly laugh (again, that makes them jerks, but kids' manners usually aren't as polished as adults' are).

But again, no reasonable adult is going to be offended by your practicing how to ride a bike in public, so your actions won't be considered wrong or impolite. The attention might be embarrassing for you (I had some kids giggle at me when they ay me practicing), but ultimately learning to ride a bike will benefit you, even if it comes at the cost of a few snickers.

2. 「Where would it be acceptable to learn how to ride one?」

Parks would be the best bet. Because of how narrow Japanese streets can be, I wouldn't recommend trying to ride around/through town until you've got enough experience to comfortably balance yourself.

Many Japanese neighborhoods have what're sometimes called 緑の道/midori no michi/green roads, which are paths with no cars allowed. Some of them are narrow and pedestrian only, but a lot of them are wide enough for bikes, and will let you practice without worrying about automobile traffic. Also, some towns with rivers have wide parks with walking/cycling courses that run through them. In both of these cases, an added plus is that they're long roads on which to practice, which means you're not going in circles again and again in the same park, which makes it less likely for others to see you practicing and giggle, if you're looking to minimize the amount of attention you'll be getting.

Long story short: Yeah, people will probably notice you, and some people might think you look silly. No one will think you're impolite, though, and learning to ride a bike is definitely worth it, especially in Japan.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on learning how to ride a bike? 2020/10/7 21:03
I checked this thread just now and I didn’t expect to get this much response! Thank you to everyone who replied! These helped me consider more options and also learn some techniques . It’s also comforting to know that other people has been in the same place as me before.
by lrmv rate this post as useful

reply to this thread