Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reputable Music Universities 2020/10/9 03:04
Hello,

My name is Eric, and I recently turned 23. I have a bit of a disposition, which makes it hard to know where I'm standing...

Upon graduating high school, I joined the US Marines and have just recently gotten out. Because the US Govt. pays for college of service members (and this applies overseas, with a ceiling) I now don't have to worry about tuition, books, and even cost of living (might vary depending on the school and location.) I have taken college courses worth around 25 credit hours and would have the equivalent of a 4.0. I would rather not mention my high school GPA.

I have a deep fascination of music and I've produced probably around 200 songs at an amateur/hobbyist level since I was about 13. I can play a few instruments at a low level, I've never had lessons. I use software to insert each individual note into a project. I am familiar with music theory. And I'm teaching myself Japanese and picking it up at a good pace.

After a lot of research, I've found that most colleges in Japan that are music oriented, are conservatories focused largely on classical music and ensembles, as opposed to work in the music industry (not to say teaching/performing of classical music and composition isn't part of the industry but that almost doesn't seem to be an option for me at this point. I digress.) The universities I've looked into that ARE aimed at preparing producers, artists, managers, audio engineers, etc. for their careers, seem to have poor reviews.

I've been working long hours for very low pay the past few years, and almost every second of my spare time has gone to bettering myself for the opportunity of higher education that I abandoned as a lost and sick child. Now that the opportunity has come back around, I would like to ask the following:

1) generally, for work and education in music, would Japan be practical?

2) To what degree would my high school grades affect me in spite of my current college transcript?

3) Would I be taking the Japanese College Placement Exams to compete for a place in Universities, or a different kind of standardized test?

4) Is my age a factor in getting into a Japanese University?

5) I understand, generally, the global situation with COVID-19. Assuming a vaccine be found in the future, when should I look at applying?

6) Given my set of circumstances, does it seem practical for me in particular to push for a Japanese education in music?

Whatever feedback can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Eric
by Eric (guest)  

reply to this thread