Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can't understand this dialogue 2020/10/9 18:19
Someone please explain this dialogue to me, please?

A: We'll start moving after 10 minutes.
B: Back to the cabin?
A: No:
And then this from A:
守らないとね。いや。皆さんが無事でよかった。
B: ?

I can understand the とね means ないといけない, but I still can't understand what this guy is really saying. If it helps, the overall context is that they are in sort of a dangerous situation and are trying to go find help.

Thanks in advance!
by ConfusedNoob (guest)  

Re: Can't understand this dialogue 2020/10/10 12:34
守らないとね。いや。皆さんが無事でよかった。

Have they gotten themselves out of the danger by the time this person said it? But anyways, my take is:
“We have to protect them. Anyways. Good that everyone is safe.”
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can't understand this dialogue 2020/10/10 17:55
They aren't in a dangerous place anymore, but they are still going to a place where they can seek help.

いや can also mean anyway?
by ConfusedNoob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can't understand this dialogue 2020/10/10 18:54
“iya” does not translate literally to “anyways,” (literally it’s just “no”) but here I felt that the speaker (rather than talking about his/their duty to protect others) turned his attention to the relief that everyone was safe, so as a translation of a dialogue I put in “anyways.”
So it’s like:
- We have to protect them. Well (rather than that) it’s simply good that everyone is safe.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can't understand this dialogue 2020/10/11 19:43
Hi there.

If B is saying "?", I think we're not supposed to understand what this guy is really saying, either, yet.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread