Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/17 17:21
I recently mailed off my passport to be renewed, so I cannot show my passport when purchasing this pass. Is a valid, current residence card acceptable? The gaijin card indicates my nationality (not Japanese), and that I am a legal resident of Japan. Thus, I feel it should be official enough to show to the train station staff when purchasing the pass.

Has anyone tried this? Please let me know.
by Ingrid (guest)  

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/18 22:29
Japan has thousands of rail pass.
Can you tell the name of rail pass?
Is it nationwide JR pass ?
If you residents of Japan, you can't buy JR nationwide pass.
by Jia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/18 22:31
Itfs the newest rail pass, gWelcome to Japanh; first went on sale 16 October 2020. I know itfs open to international tourists AND non-Japanese residents, but Ifm concerned that official residence cards may not be accepted, only passports. So I wanted to know if anyone has purchased it with their gaijin card.
by Ingrid (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/18 23:02
https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/pass/welcomerailpass.html?src=gnavi

It states to "present your passport".... They're usually very much sticklers for that. No passport, no pass.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/19 02:42
Unless it the official guidance (which I guess you've already read) states explicitly that your gaijin card is/isn't an acceptable form of ID I guess there is no way to know yet since the pass has only been on sale for three days. I guess you could try?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/19 06:53
For the other passes that applies to foreign residents (this new one isn't the first/only one), you need to show your physical passport.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/19 09:05
Hello - does anyone know if JR East`s Welcome Rail Pass also covers JR buses along the route (I am particularly interested in Aomori to Towada bus). Thank you.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/19 09:22
According to the link above, no.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New internal rail pass; residence card okay? 2020/10/19 10:36
From the website: "Note: A passport is required at the time of purchase. If your passport is a copy, you cannot purchase it."

The rail pass section on this website says it was intended for foreign residents to take advantage of (since its original intention, use during the Olympics, was no longer possible), so once you get your passport you will be able to use it (and aren't as restricted as with the JR Pass, which requires a foreign visitor stamp in the passport).
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread