Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/20 07:19
Hello.
I am trying to find the correct usage of the kanji/hiragana for the word taboo. There seems to be many different versions depending on the usage. I am intending the usage to represent the title of the song Taboo by Koda Kumi which deals with sexuality and homosexuality. The song in question has an English title so I cannot simply copy it from there. Google translate gave me about 11 different options and I wanted to get it right.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Vincent
by VincentStoker  

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/20 18:21
The word taboo is in Japanese 'ƒ^ƒu[' always in katakana.
Kanji version (a translation of its meaning) is ‹ÖŠõ(kinki), used especially as a term of anthropology, but its use in ordinary Japanese life is rare.
Properly, the word is not English, but said to come from polynesian Tongan word.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/20 21:13
I believe her song title is gTABOO,h simply spelled in English.

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/21 01:40
Song titles are expressed according to how it is intended.

In Koda Kumi's song's case, it is always written as TABOO in English alphabet capital letters, even within Japanese text. For example, if a music critic wants to write, "Kuda Kumi's Taboo is a great song," it would be written in Japanese magazines as Œô“c˜Ò–¢‚ÌTABOO‚ÍŒ†ì‚¾

Why do you need to write it in kanji or hiragana? By knowing the intention of your question, someone may be able to give you a better answer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/21 03:41
I want to use the kanji/hiragana in a music based art project. I am celebrating music from around the world which has meaning to me and wanted to include this title, but ideally in Japanese calligraphy.
by VincentStoker rate this post as useful

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/21 07:39
But her song title originally is in English, TABOO, with the listeners left to interpret what exactly it means.

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/22 21:04
I want to use the kanji/hiragana in a music based art project. I am celebrating music from around the world which has meaning to me and wanted to include this title, but ideally in Japanese calligraphy.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm afraid that the moment you use kanji or kana, it won't be the title of her song any more. Why not write her name Œô“c˜Ò–¢ along with the title?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/22 21:19
Thank you for the replies, I have some more to go on now. I understand fully that the song title is always listed as TABOO, I've been a long standing fan. I wanted to change the word into Japanese to also express how the "taboo" has changed my life throughout the years. Giving it extra meaning to the project.

Many thanks again

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/25 01:27
Maybe he's just trying to plan a new tattoo...
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Correct kanji/hiragana for Taboo? 2020/10/25 01:58
It's for a painting actually.

reply to this thread