Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 10:34
Seems that we can forget 2021 already.

But how likely is a tourist travel in 2022? Not only for neighboring countries, I'm talking about the EU/the West.
by Pin (guest)  

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 12:26
Sorry to be direct - but this forum has had multiple threads asking when borders will open.

To put it simple - no-one knows and there is no answer to your question.

All you can do is visit the JNTO website which will be the first place to display official information: https://www.japan.travel/en/

Asking for a hunch is like asking who is going to win the next world cup in football. People think they know the answer but they don't.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 16:12
Are there already any official or non-official stats whether the japanese businesses miss the foreign tourists or not? As i have just done some surfing using the Google Maps and checking the prices of the hotels where i would in theory stay - it seems the prices are halved. For example those which were about 100-200 euros for a double room might be even around 50 euros.

I guess those hotel and restaurant businesses which target rich japanese citizens - they are doing just fine and without annoying paparazzi-wannabe-tourists? But those which catered large foreign tour groups - they probably suffer? Also, i guess a lot of citizens of Kyoto might even enjoy the good-old-times atmosphere around Fushimi Inari shrine, Gyon etc. Will the economy of Kyoto suffer considerably and is it visible for ordinary citizens wallet, if the foreing tourism stays that level even more (lets say until 2021 summer)?

For comparison, the old medieval part of Tallinn (my home city) is quite deserted compared to last year. Even the christmas market is ultra-lite this year. There have not been any official stats how much Tallinn has lost money due the missing tourism.

Best Regards, specially for those members who have given excellent advice here and whose living depends on tourism; hopefully this crappy situation ends soon.

Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 16:36
Japan is resuming cross-border travel in phased manner. The following MOFA page talks about this: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/cp/page22e_000925.html

Regarding tourists, as per what @mfedley said - no one really knows.
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 18:13
So it does seem to take so many years.
by Pin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 18:19
Pin, do not try to jump into conclusions. Many years or 6 months - no one knows, really. Gotta wait this one out
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 19:04
But how probable are many years?
Is a trip in 2022 likely at least?

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 19:11
I read borders will reopen for tourists in April 2021. Was that fake news?
by Coconut (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 19:47
Nothing is confirmed yet. Even if they do reopen for tourism in April 2021, that doesn't mean for all countries, or without quarantine. So, wait and see.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 20:17
So, trip in 2022 - how likely?

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/22 21:10
rolling eyes

This question is NOT ANSWERABLE.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/23 02:09
Even if it is hard to tell when the borders will open the laws of economic will kick in eventually...
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: Will travel be possible again in 2022? 2020/10/23 07:25
The official information is on the MoFA website and it is regularly updated - usually once per month.
JNTO is not the official portal, but can provide useful information.
Government actions, both visible and behind the scenes, is ongoing.
There is an expectation among a lot of people I know that tourism will be allowed during 2021, but the restrictions are not known yet.
And as also mentioned, there are lots of dull forum threads posting doom and gloom, speculation and rubbish all over the internet about "when travel might restart". Some is more silly than reasoned.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread