Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/24 13:49
I recently arrived in Japan. I'm planning to make a hanko of my last name in Katakana to use on various documents in banks and other places. From what I understand, this would be the ginko-in. I have no plans for purchasing a house or signing contracts so I don't see the point of a registered hanko (jitsu-in).

My question is can I directly use this hanko in banks or in the ward office (while registering address and applying for national health insurance)? I don't want to pay 3-4k Yen for a hanko to find out that its unusable
by Dash (guest)  

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/24 16:20
Yes, you can just start using it. My non-Japanese husband has a nice hanko with his family name in katakana :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 06:38
It was a while ago now, but I do not recall the cost of registering my hanko as being very much - a few hundred yen I think, and less than the custom stamp I had made. Plus, you can still use your signature on many documents, there are only a few official documents that I actually stamp (maybe once a year).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 10:17
Yes I agree with others, you do not need a jitsuin, or to register a Hanoi at a ward office. Unless you want to do something major like what you said.

If you make a ginkoin, I would be careful about using it freely at other places. I have a ginkoin and a mitomein (cheap one for not important stuff)
I only use my ginkoin at the bank and it is registered with them.
For everything else, I use my mitomein as that's all that's needed, or like precious user said, most places would take a signature for a foreign resident anyway.
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 19:38
JapanCustomTours,
I think that the OP referred to the 3 – 4K yen as the cost for getting the hanko made.

I agree with Shelly – people usually use the gginko-inh for the banks and official purposes (yes, city hall and places ask for proper hanko for which you need the ink pad separately), and have another ink-pad-embedded type for, for example, acknowledging receipt of a parcel. My spouse has both.

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 20:24
On the topic of foreign residents and hanko and without trying to hijack the thread: can a foreign resident survive & live in Japan without having a hanko (ginko-in, mitomein nor jitsu-in) at all?
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 20:29
@MrZaggy
It wouldn't be impossible but you will be refused in some cases and have to look for an alternative.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/25 21:32
As far as I know, some banks do allow use of signature for non-Japanese in place of hanko. City halls/governmental bodies, I do not know if they do. If you want to make big property purchases (such as a car or real estate) I believe you need one.

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/26 07:16
@AK, I can't remember how long ago it was, but I recall we were in Kyoto and my ex (wife at the time) got two of them made and it was something like 6,000 yen for the pair (one each, of course), including a cute case including a built in stamp-pad. Not very expensive. I use it for things like opening a bank account, legal contracts and a couple of other official documents. Registration at city-hall was a useful step, and not particularly hard or time consuming. But mostly I just sign documents and mundane things like registered mail deliveries - many people would use a cheap 100-yen shop stamp for something like that.
I certainly use my company seals more frequently - I have a standard set of three for the different uses - but even there I think it was only 6,000 for the set (and they are much nicer than my personal seal).

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/26 15:38
JapanCustomTours,

Indeed the cost for a hanko (or two) can vary greatly depending on what kind of shop you go to and what kind of material you choose. I just commented about the g3-4 K yenh price because I gthoughth you took that number mentioned by the original poster to be the cost for registering.

My non-Japanese has one gShachihatah - ink-pad embedded one – made for him, for receipt of parcels and things like that, one wooden one for bank and other official papers.
Myself (Japanese) have one Shachihata for receipt of parcels (my family name is common I could just buy at a shop), another one for banks and other official papers, and a bigger one (gjitsuinh) too, used for probably a once-in-a-lifetime real estate transaction. And only the last one is registered.

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/26 21:34
You don't have to use an expensive hanko for a jitsuin, but you do need to use a non-rubber hard one for banks among many things. The so-called "shachi-hata" rubber hanko is only good for things like accepting parcel at your door (which you hardly need any more due to the pandemic). Of course, many banks now accept signatures instead of hanko, but keep in mind that rubber hanko is no good for making bank accounts. But while you're at it, a bamboo hanko can be quite fancy, too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/27 07:28
Mine is bamboo I think - certainly wood. The more expensive ones I see are ivory and metal. There must be some money in the business as I have at least two or three shops I can immediately think of in my area that make/sell them (excluding all the shops selling the cheap/generic rubber ones).
(And, yes, it is still legal to use ivory under the 1975 convention (if rules are followed), although people may have a moral issue, and don`t try taking it into another country where border control will happily confiscate/destroy it for you if you don`t have the correct paperwork.)

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/27 13:49
This is the kind of bamboo stamp I prefer.
https://giftmall.co.jp/giftmiSkxc/?gsf_pcid=216513%3A0%3A0&gclid=EAIaI...

In fact, bamboos are ecological, because they grow too much.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/27 16:15
While hanko can be a fun cultural experience, if you're not purchasing real estate or drafting contracts on your own, odds are you'll never actually need one. I've been living and working in Japan for close to 20 years, and have had exactly one time when someone told me I needed a hanko, which came when I started renting a new apartment. The realtor told me I'd need one, then when I came back to actually do the paperwork, said, "Oh, I checked with the building owner again, and they said that actually your signature is fine."

For every other document (signing employment contracts, leases at the other apartments I've lived in, getting a bank account, immigration and marriage paperwork), my signature has been fine.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Katakana hanko without registering? 2020/10/27 17:39
Thank you for the insights, everyone!
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread