Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/3 01:29
I have a question concerning: 明日

When do you pronounce it あす and when あした and how do you know?

Thank you for clarification.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/3 21:07
In fact, you never know. It's up to the reader to decide. If you want the reader to read it in a certain way, you just have to write it in kana. Same thing with words like 昨夜 昨日 一昨日 行った and many many others.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/3 22:15
Thank you Uco.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/4 11:43
If it's any consolation, even though ashita and asu are both written as 明日, the majority of the time in modern communication, the pronunciation is going to be "ashita." "Asu" has a more literary/poetic feel to it, so it's not usually used in everyday emails, signs, etc.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/4 13:23
Thank you @ ...

Well it would really have been a consolation :)  but I've come to this question by weather forecasts. Yes it's written in Kana あすの気温 for example. But as far as I can see it's quite commonly used in this field.
What I'd like to ask too is if it always means "tomorrow". My dictionary translates あす also as "near future" in distinction to 明日. So how does あすの気温 translates? Temperature tomorrow or temperature in near future (Whatever this might mean).

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/4 20:46
Actually, my paternal grandmother almost always said "asu" at home, while my maternal grandmother mostly said "ashita" at home. For formal business purposes, I have the impression that one would mostly use "asu", but then, you might say "ashita" to a colleague.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji pronunciation 2020/11/4 21:41
@ UCO How complicated! :)

reply to this thread