Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zozoji Temple (Tokyo) open 24 hours? 2020/11/4 20:20
Goodmorning to everyone,
I have already asked questions and you have answered me just fine. I go with the third question! :-)
I need to know if the Zojoji temple in Tokyo (near the Tokyo tower) can be visited (I mean visit the outside area) even after the closing time of the temple itself (set at 5pm) or if the external gates and therefore the area is unreachable afterwards that time. I ask because I have not found any evidence on the internet and because Google Street View is misleading in this sense. Thanks to anyone who will answer!

Thanks and Regards,
Marco
by ZioNick  

Re: Zozoji Temple (Tokyo) open 24 hours? 2020/11/5 17:53
I remember it as closed. (I passed it quite often at night as I normally stay in an accommodation close to it when in Tokyo for work)

Generally for temples I would say, they have a closing time (often 17:00) and are then REALLY closed. Most temples have some kind of gate. But for sure there are exceptions. I can even think of some myself, but as a rule of thumb it works.

While Shrines in general donft have a gate , so are open 24/7. There are also exceptions to that rule as I had to discover last year after riding up a mountain of nearly 600 m to Tanzan shrine in Nara prefecture:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2019/04/gw-2019-day-4-omiwa-old...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Zozoji Temple (Tokyo) open 24 hours? 2020/11/5 18:10
Hello,
thanks a lot for your reply. You were so clear in explaination. What a shame...
However thanks for other link, too!!

Marco
by ZioNick rate this post as useful

Re: Zozoji Temple (Tokyo) open 24 hours? 2020/11/5 18:12
Furthermore I see through Google Street View:
https://www.google.it/maps/@35.6564714,139.7500674,3a,60y,307.74h,88.4...
that there is this "gate" opened with no barriers or something similiar... Could I enter into this part?
by ZioNick rate this post as useful

reply to this thread