Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I become a foreign mangaka in Japan? 2020/11/5 05:10
Look, guys. I am 15 years old, and I'm not stupid. I am a lazy dude who is trying to change his ways. I know for a fact that even if I make my dream there is gonna be hard work and a LOT of dedication.

But.... even if I'm not in the best position to start, I don't want to give it up. So, anyone who respects this, and feels like there is some way to do this, please help. I have about two years left and I want to be able to think about what I have to do, and how I'm gonna do it.

And for anyone who has gone through similar stage in their life. Good luck.
by Chris (guest)  

Re: How do I become a foreign mangaka in Japan? 2020/11/5 12:48
A quick search of this site should show quite a few threads asking the same question.

Online web comics have also revolutionized how specifically overseas talent is started to be spotted. For example - Tower of God.

Others will know more
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How do I become a foreign mangaka in Japan? 2020/11/5 14:49
there is no road to be a mangaka.
in some schools, you may learn some techniques to write manga, but, it is not essential way to be a mangaka.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I become a foreign mangaka in Japan? 2020/11/5 22:26
Nationality is not an issue at all. Just keep writing and keep knocking editors' doors. Needless to say, your manga needs to be written in fluent Japanese language, and you need to understand the advice the editor might give you in Japanese language.

Another option is to be successful in your own country first, and get support from a reliable and skillful translator/interpreter/organizer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How do I become a foreign mangaka in Japan? 2021/5/15 08:30
Hi! I know this is late and you may not see this, but I'm also aspiring to become a mangaka based in Japan. An easier path to take, which is the one I'm taking, is to go to language school in Japan (but study before then too), then go to either a vocational school or university that offers manga. It's expensive, but while in the schools they help you not only improve your skills, but help you with your professional debut and becoming an assistant to a mangaka on the way.
by natalie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread