Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Black Lacquered Jewellery Box 2020/11/7 10:44
I have my mothers Japanese Black Lacquered Musical Jewellery Box which was bought in Japan in 1967ish. I am trying to find a bit of history about how they were made and perhaps by whom.
by Robyn (guest)  

Re: Japanese Black Lacquered Jewellery Box 2020/11/11 23:05
You might start by turning the box over and see if there is any makers marks or labels. Then you can trace the maker on the net, Also dont assume that it is Japanese
it might be a Chinese import , knowing where she was in Japan might be of help in some way. If it was purchased in Kyoto it might be authentic, I am not clear that the Japanese made ''music boxes'' for home consumption, export yes.
Hope that helps. A picture would be helpful.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Black Lacquered Jewellery Box 2020/11/12 07:11
Thanks Peter for the reply.
I did try to post a photo but I was unsuccessful, obviously I have no idea how! lol
On the bottom of the box reads..
PATENT
I can find nothing else on the box.
by Robyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Black Lacquered Jewellery Box 2020/11/13 15:21
You cannot post a photo directly on this forum.
Youfd need to post your pictures on a free photo-sharing site (no log-in needed), and copy & paste the link here.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Black Lacquered Jewellery Box 2020/11/14 00:34
I looked up the Patent mentioned but did not come up with anything conclusive, however The word ''Patent'' is an English word , so that might be a lead . Other Patents with that number relate to early [ 1890s] mechanical pensel shaperners, made in the US
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread