Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food during quarantine 2020/11/7 19:31
Hello, I'm expecting to move to japan around december and january, I found many airbnbs willing to accomodate my 14 day quarantine but I have a question regarding my food, is it true that japan is not strict regarding their quarantine? I'm not allowed to use public transportation but am I allowed to buy food outside?
by Jaicoholic  

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/8 15:32
As far as I know, it is not mandatory to "stay in" all those 14 days – you can go out to do your minimum necessary errands (such as buying food), and there is no penalty even if you donft comply. This is quite different from some other countries.
I know that if you use one of these hotels that have agreed to take in those arriving from overseas they arrange to deliver food to right outside your door and knock on your door to let you know.

A friend of mine who arrived back from overseas asked a friend of hers to pick her up from the airport and drive her to a detached house that the friend owned (in addition to their own home), who also brought her food, and my friend went out for walks outside – in a rural area – during these 14 days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/8 18:09
Therefs no restrictions during the 14 days, it is just a strong recommendation. No punishments for anything and there arent any fixed rules. Therefs also no tracking
by O (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/8 18:34
Hi Jaicoholic,

In addition to AK's answer, have a look at my post https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+173680 ("Move to Japan in October during Covid").

I just went through a quarantine experience in a hotel in Narita city, Chiba. So, perhaps you can find my post helpful, even if it is a personal experience. In this particular hotel there was no food delivery arrangements.

Good luck with your move!
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/8 23:52
The information (in Japanese) that I notice is that you are still "encouraged" to use delivery service for food. And delivery service is available to any person in Japan. Services in the city, such as Uber (also available in English) and Demae-kan, would leave the food outside your door if they could accept your credit card payment.

Meanwhile, my understanding is that there isn't exactly any penalties for using public transportation in Japan either. The Japanese tend to be very sensitive about the government restricting people's behaviors, because a lot of people believe that that was what led citizens to the worst of WW2. So the current government tend to choose to rely on people's morals rather than lawful restrictions.

Also, the theory in Japan is that humans can survive for a few weeks without public transportation but not without food. So grocery shopping is considered a "necessity".

That said, all of us here in Japan are encouraged to try to go shopping as less frequently as possible. Most supermarkets tell us that they tend to get less customers during the early hours of weekday afternoons. So if you must go buy your groceries, you could wear your mask on maybe 2pm to go buy a week-worth of food, and repeat it on your next week (granted that you are PCR test negative). Make sure you sanitize your hands when entering and exiting the store.

On a related note, foreign visitors seem to have the wrong impression that convenience stores are where people typically buy groceries, but it's not. Convenience stores just sell convenience. It's better and usually reasonable to go to a supermarket to buy all your week-worth of necessities at one stop.

Hope it helps and stay safe.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/9 11:01
granted that you are PCR test negative

This was misleading of me. I should have written "granted that you are not PCR test positive or highly possible of being so".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Food during quarantine 2020/11/9 16:27
You can go to the market to buy food.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread