Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I move to Japan at the age of 16? 2020/11/12 05:36
i have always wanted to move to japan and i really would like to go to a language school and learn about the culture and how to write and speak. yes i know its not like out of a manga or anime and it can be stressful and hard can be. but i really want to go to language school over there but im in the UK, England and i really would like to know if this is going to be possible
by akiri (guest)  

Re: Can I move to Japan at the age of 16? 2020/11/12 11:06
In Japan, compulsory education ends after junior high school, which is equivalent to the 9th grade, which means students are 14 or 15 when they finish. Since high school is not required, you might be able to find language schools that will accept you for enrollment at the age of 16, and thus might be able to obtain a student visa.

However, at 16 you will still be a minor, and unable to live by yourself. You'll need either to find a family willing to let you live with them, or to find a language school with a dormitory, which not many language schools have.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I move to Japan at the age of 16? 2020/11/12 11:18
Not by yourself
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I move to Japan at the age of 16? 2020/11/12 14:37
generally speaking, language schools request high school graduation.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I move to Japan at the age of 16? 2020/11/12 20:07
Continuing from what I mentioned above, even if you are able to find a language school that will let you enroll at 16, sponsor your student visa, and find a place to live, you'll also need to consider the question of what you're going to do after language school. Are you going to try to find work in Japan? That's probably going to be difficult if the highest level of non-language education you have is middle school.

Honestly, unless there's some reason you can't move to Japan once you're 18, you'd be better off waiting until you finish high school to make the move. In the meantime, you might want to look into short-term study programs in Japan instead of full-time study programs.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread