Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/13 00:52
I am in the process of looking for colleges to attend and saw that Capella University, which is regionally accredited, offers a Flexpath bachelors degree which they claim is a fast paced 4 year bachelors that can be done at your pace, therefore you 'could' potentially get the degree in a year or 2 depending on your pace. Does anyone know if this route will still be accepted if it doesnt necessarily take me 4 years to complete? Its expensive and i'd rather not waste time and money if it wont do me any good for working in Japan.
by Erilenaskat  

Re: Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/13 14:18
I am not familiar with this college - it might be better to check directly with the Japanese immigration authorities.

Generally speaking, the required bachelor's degree does not have to take 4 years (in some countries by default it is usually 3 years). But it must be a proper accredited bachelor's degree.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/13 14:29
This is not a comment on appropriateness of the degree for a Japanese work visa, but instead the university itself - I checked its Wikipedia page to see if it said anything about credibility outside of its region (no specific details), and found it had received a much higher percentage of complaints compared to other universities nearby. A lot of complaints centred around projected timeframes for degrees, with the university needing to blow out the timelines by several months, sometime more than once, as they had suggested highly unrealistic timeframes. Just something to be aware of.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/13 14:44
in Japan, it takes 4 years for university. but, if you are extremely excellent, you can enter graduate school with shortened term ( for example, 3 years). in that case, you enter graduate school WITHOUT graduating university ( i.e. no university degree).
that means skipping is not allowed for graduation and the government thinks that degree will be given after graduation.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/14 02:57
Is it a real (accredited) degree? If so then yes. The duration and means of study are totally irrelevant. Hypothetically if you were able to complete a degree online from an accredited Institution (like the Open University in the UK) in only a month, that would suffice for immigration purposes.

If it's not accredited and considered a "real" undergraduate degree in your county, that is where you are likely to run into problems.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flexpath degree ok for work visa? 2020/11/14 07:12
The requirement is for a valid/accepted university degree - it says nothing about being a four year qualification. As others have mentioned, three years for a bachelors is normal in some countries (like my BSc from a well respected NZ university). Doing a degree in two years might be theoretically possible, but I would look pretty carefully at the quality. There are enough qualifications you can buy off the internet that are pretty worthless.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread