Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exchange Student to Language School? 2020/11/16 00:33
Hi,

I'm a university student in the UK and this September I was supposed to be going on a year-long exchange in Saitama. Unfortunately, it was understandably postponed until April so now I'll only be going for one semester (April-early August).

My main reason for going on this exchange was to improve my language skills so I'm looking to see if there are any possible ways to stay in Japan for a month longer after the exchange to carry on my studies for a bit. I'm aware that once my student visa expires, I can go to the immigration office and change to temporary visitor status which would allow me to stay for another 90 days.

I've found a language school close to my university that offers short term courses (<3 months) which means that a student visa wouldn't be required. Would I be allowed to go from a student visa to temp. visitor status and attend this school for a month? I'm not very familiar with how language schools works so I'm not sure if you have to have a student visa to attend them or if schools that offer courses in which visas aren't necessary are dodgy?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)
by Em26 (guest)  

Re: Exchange Student to Language School? 2020/11/16 14:10
You can attend language school on a temporary visitor status; you just aren't allowed to work (or more accurately, receive payment for work - food and board can be considered payment). Student visas are required when the courses run for longer than 90 days, and can allow for part-time work.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread