Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan pension of my late Japanese father 2020/11/24 12:14
Hi, I am a Japanese citizen, born in July 1997. My father died in 2008 and since then, my mother was receiving a pension. However, my mom died in September 2015. We tried to report the death of my mother to the Japan Pension Service, and claim whatever left it is for me if there is. The requirements were barangay certificate, death certificate, kosekitohon, bank passbook or certification and passport. However, my passport was expired back then and I could not renew it since I was not legally residing here in the Philippines. Now, I was able to fix my immigration status and was able to renew my passport. I am just wondering if I still can claim (if there is to claim) any pension left. I remember back then, I have these three blue little booklets from Japan Pension Service, one for my dad, mom and me.
by Miya (guest)  

Re: Japan pension of my late Japanese father 2020/11/24 18:31
If there was anything you could claim, there is a statute of limitation of 5 years (I hope you read Japanese):
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/jukyu/kyotsu/shikyu/20140421-01.html
You could submit your claim if there was a reason why you could not do it in time due to unavoidable circumstances.

I hope you reported to the Japanese authorities her passing and also that the pension recipient passed on (two separate reports – one to the city hall and the other to the pension office)? If the latter is not made, pension keeps on getting deposited into the recipientfs bank account. This might be OK if the account was locked and they could no longer remit the money. But if there were further payments made (after her passing) youfd need to return that amount.

As far as I know, um, I lost my parents in recent years too, and I think there was one payment that my mother was due to receive but did not due to passing, and because I was considered to belong to the same household (though I was living on the other side of town, I was commuting frequently to support her), I received it on her behalf as the daughter, and that was it.
I hope you can sort out your situation soon. Best regards.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japan pension of my late Japanese father 2020/11/24 22:51
I believe that pension booklet is issued for people who have a resident status in Japan and more than 20 years old (or work in Japan, if less than 20 years old).
therefore, it is highly unlikely that you had your booklet, because you have been living outside of Japan from one year old.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread