Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pension Lump-Sum refund, and missed payments 2020/11/27 01:09
I am currently getting ready to move out of Japan. I have been paying into the pension system consistently for a number of years now, but became slack over the past few months for various (obvious) reasons related to the fact that moving is expensive and that I'm leaving the country.

I just went to City Hall to complete the moving-out process, and the office slapped me with a bill for the 4 months of pension I've missed, and asked me to pay it at a conbini before I leave.

My question is, would these few recent missed payments affect my ability to claim the Lump-Sum withdrawal that I plan to apply for once I'm back in Canada? Do I have to cough up $500 more dollars before boarding a plane in order to get my refund?
by ShayMaggs  

Re: Pension Lump-Sum refund, and missed payments 2020/11/27 20:54
city offices collect payments from individuals, and 日本年金機構 pays refund and benefit.
you can ask it at the nearest 年金事務所 of 日本年金機構.
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/section/soudan/
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pension Lump-Sum refund, and missed payments 2020/11/28 07:29
On my understanding (having looked at this earlier in the year for someone), I would say yes. Your refund is based on payments over the last year, not how long you've been paying, so any recent missed payments would have a big effect.
That was my reading of the guidance, might be wrong.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Pension Lump-Sum refund, and missed payments 2020/11/29 17:33
Thanks so much for your help, everyone! Very much appreciated!
by ShayMaggs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread