Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translate soul releaser into Japanese 2020/12/19 01:20
I’m naming a sword and my students came up with ‘soul releaser’ as in after it kills you. We researched and came up with ‘ Tamashii o kaihoo’ 魂 解放 but want to make sure it’s correct grammatically.
by JT (guest)  

Re: translate soul releaser into Japanese 2020/12/19 13:55
"tamashii o kaihoo" is grammatically correct, but it means "release soul" instead of "soul releaser".

"魂 解放" is grammatically correct, but it's not read "tamashii o kaihoo" and it means "soul release" instead of "soul releaser". Also, I don't really think it correctly interprets what you're trying to say, but then, I'm not really sure if I understand what you're really trying to say. I hope you're not trying to kill anyone including yourself.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: translate soul releaser into Japanese 2020/12/19 14:49
Agreed.

Soul = 魂
Release (in the sense you are looking for) = 解放

Those individual words (both are nouns) are correct. But to give that sense of “soul release-r,” it would have to be a phrase, sort of a pretty mundane-sounding phrase (or a sentence) that I doubt it would be good for a name?

Releasing the soul/release of soul (noun phrase) 魂の解放
The one who releases the soul/release-r of soul 魂の解放者
(It) releases the soul 魂を解放する For short, you “could” go for 魂を解放
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: translate soul releaser into Japanese 2020/12/20 15:58
How about 鎮魂刀(ちんこんとう chin-kon-too)or 鎮魂剣(ちんこんけん chin-kon-ken (刀 too and 剣 ken, or turugi, all three mean a sword.
Or, 鎮魂乃剣 chin-kon-no-turugi, tama-shizume-no-turugi)?

Different from the Christian notion of releasing a soul from its body, 鎮魂 means to wish a soul its peaceful rest, like in the case of a catholic prayer of Requiem (aeternam dona eis, Domine). Requiem, as the name of classical music piece, is translated in Japanese (鎮魂ミサ曲).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread