Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/10 00:38
Hi,

I am crossed in what to do and would appreciate some advice as I am totally ignorant about Japan's job market.

I have a degree in East Asian Studies and a MA in Japanese Studies (the former was English-taught). I did a teaching internship in Japan some years ago and totally loved the experience, I've been working on my teaching experience since then (teaching English at a cram school for 1.5 years). I'm not a native speaker. I speak fluent English (C1, taking the C2 exam in March), Spanish (native), Italian, and some Japanese (I failed the N2 for a few points and I'm studying to retake it).

I would like to go to Japan, work for a few years while I improve my Japanese and hopefully find a job in interpretation or international trade once my Japanese is good enough. I got a job with Heart and already have my COE for an instructor visa, I thought I needed 12 years of education in English(all subjects) but just proving that I'd studied English as a subject for 12 years was enough.

Tbh, I accepted their offer just out of desperation after being rejected by so many companies. I've never had problems finding teaching jobs in my country despite not being native. But now that the departing time is approaching and with all their bad reviews online (plus a friend at the Japanese Labour Ministry noticed that they've made me signed a potentially illegal agreement), I am trying to think of alternatives.

Would I have any chances to find a job with a WHV and getting sponsored for a work visa after the first year? Should I just stick with Heart for a year to keep my instructor visa? Will that give me more chances to find a better teaching job than a WHV?

I imagine that the job market might be quite crushed now, so I would have to work for them until the situation improves. If I choose the WHV instead, I would postpone the trip until the covid situation improves.

Please do not jump on me for thinking of working with a company just because of their visa. I enjoy learning and teaching foreign languages as well as working with children. I've always developed strong bonds with my students and would never compromise their learning for my own interest (i.e switching jobs half-term). As a NNS, my choices are very reduced.
by miho85  

Re: Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/10 10:14
Just note that at the moment due to COVID, in order to be approved for a WHV you need to have a job lined up (at least for a short period). This makes it very similar to a "normal" work visa. Not sure when this requirement will be removed, but you say you are happy to wait until COVID passes.

(Not sure if this is for all nationalities, but I know it is true for Australians; I would expect it is the same for all foreigners.)

Also note that WHVs generally have age restrictions, so depending on your age postponing until COVID passes may present other difficulties.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/10 11:12
Keep with your current plan. With how much uncertainty is going on with the job market. Well the WHV just adds another layer of uncertainty.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/10 12:37
as you already know that "working holiday visa" is not one of "working visa", I believe that the former one will not be granted until the corona virus crisis will be gone. so, those two are not comparable.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/11 10:55
Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'll keep the work visa, I've been thinking about it and it looks like the best option. Prospects at my country are not too good either, the job market has been so crushed that I could easily be unemployed for the rest of the year. If things go bad with this company I can always take a flight back home. And the experience of working at a public school will be great for sure.

@/ I still have 3 years until the age limit for my country. Im my case, I wouldn't need a job lined up if I use a WHV company to sign a written pledge (they charge around 800 eur...) The embassy's website states that a language school would also be acceptable, but they told me by phone that they weren't actually 100% sure. So I guess it's all quite vague and up to who sees the application.

@H Thank you! :D tbh having to wait without knowing when I'd be able to leave sounds dreadful. I've been wanting to go back to Japan for such a long time!

@ken at the moment it seems they are being granted provided that you show a written pledge, but they could cancel new applications anytime.
by miho85 rate this post as useful

Re: Instructor Visa vs WHV advice 2021/1/11 22:18
I don't think the government accepts visitors who can go anywhere randomly in Japan.
right now in Japan, people who come from the outside, are considered as strong spreaders of the virus.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread