Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with a Kanji tattoo 2021/1/15 07:07
I want to get the word “escapism” tattooed in kanji, but I don’t know how to translate it correctly & risking it on google translate is just not right. If anyone would be so kind to help me, I thank you in advance
by okrrrrrst  

Re: Help with a Kanji tattoo 2021/1/15 20:15
And you are going to risk asking anonymous internet users like me? What if I tell you that I'm a professional translator and Japanese resident, and that I can't imagine a translation that would look right as a tattoo, moreover the right calligraphy? Would you believe me?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Help with a Kanji tattoo 2021/1/16 00:15
Find a tattoo artist who speaks both languages fluently (likely a first or second-gen Japanese immigrant to your country) and writes Japanese. Have a proper discussion about the actual meaning you would like to convey. Then trust them completely to turn it into a tattoo you can be happy with. I have a tattoo in a language I do not speak, and this is what I did. The reason is that if you just wanted a direct translation of a single word you could very easily just look it up in a E-J dictionary yourself, but you don't want a direct translation, do you? You probably want a tattoo that conveys a certain meaning which isn't necessarily going to be the first thing a dictionary spits out. Seriously, go and talk to someone who really knows what they are doing. It will be worth the money and you are like 1000% less likely to end up with a tattoo you regret.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with a Kanji tattoo 2021/1/16 04:59
現実逃避=escape from reality
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with a Kanji tattoo 2021/1/16 07:46
Of course the dictionary tells us 現実逃避. How ugly can that be?
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread