Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese floor table measurements 2021/2/11 00:24
Can someone tell me what is the floor traditional japanese dining table size and measurements? Thanks
by rg (guest)  

Re: Japanese floor table measurements 2021/2/11 10:00
If you're talking about a "zataku" it's roughly W75-150cm, D60-90cm, ~H30-35cm. Or maybe you're talking about the round "chabudai" roughly 60-120cm in diameter.

Either the case, those low tables were originally Western style tables with its legs cut shorter to suit the Japanese lifestyle of the time. So, it's up to the user to decide what size is comfortable.

Before tables became common in Japan, people placed food on a personal "o-zen" which is roughly 35x35x15.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese floor table measurements 2021/2/11 10:39
Thanks for answering, I have a picture I will like to show you . I would love to make this table. see the first table in this link. https://in.pinterest.com/pin/853009985663526460/
what would you think is the measurement of this one. any idea will be helpful. Thanks
by rg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese floor table measurements 2021/2/11 20:08
Oh, that I would not exactly call "traditional" but rather a modern Japanese style dining table. It looks quite spacious and luxurious, so I would guess something like 2 meters long (1 meter per seating). You can estimate the depth and height from the photo.

But like I said, the best part about making it from scratch is that you can adjust it to suit the user. If you're expecting big people to sit there, you may want to measure it to be bigger. If you want to put it in a small room, you'll have to measure it to be a bit smaller.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese floor table measurements 2021/3/1 05:31
I know of a table that had supposivly been in the castle until ww2 very beautifil.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese floor table measurements 2021/3/1 15:53
Actually I think thanks to the tatami mats you see on the picture, at least the length of the table you can gmeasure g quite exactly. My estimation is :1 tatami mat length , so about 1,8 m. The width is bit more complex complicated to estimate. Regarding the height I would just measure what a comfortable night will be for you. Considering also what kind of chairs/ cushions you will use.

Enjoy making the table. When you finish, would you mind to share a picture?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread