Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/11 05:19
Hello!

I've been planning a trip to Japan, Chubu region (hopefully for Summer 2022 or later). Takayama and Toyama are some of the places I plan to visit. Any restaurant recommendations for lunch in both cities? I am a female solo traveler by the way (actually, this would be my second trip to Japan).

Thank you everyone! Stay safe!
by Sophia (guest)  

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/11 14:15
There is a burger restaurant called Center4 Hamburgers about ten minutes' walk from the main tourist area that serves a delicious Hida beef burger. It was listed on several websites as one of the best Hida beef options in Takayama. The burger was indeed delicious and is so popular that it is sold in only limited quantities, so best to go for lunch!

I was also a solo female traveller when I visited, and was seated at the counter. I arrived when they opened as suggested online, and by the time I received my burger they were turning others away!

https://www.ana-cooljapan.com/destinations/gifu/center4hamburgers
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/11 20:52
The Hokuriku region is known for its rice and seafood. You can't miss it.

A Toyama local took me to Sushiei (Kakeo branch). Don't be fooled by its exterior. The inside is so sophisticated, and most of all I enjoyed one of the best sushi I ever had in such a reasonable price.
http://www.susiei.com/m-kakeo.html
https://www.instagram.com/sushiei.toyama/

On your way, try visiting the Shimakawa Ame-ten, a tiny mizu-ame (starch syrup) shop. I happened to find it during a female solo walk before lunch and enjoyed the museum-like atmosphere. Founded in 1663, their syrup, made from ocarina, malt and rice, is nothing you can find elsewhere.
http://www.shimakawaameten.co.jp/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/11 23:03
OP here! Thank everyone for your feedback. That Hida Beef Hamburguer looks delicious! I will add it to my list ;) (I will arrive early, by the time it opens, it's something I've learned on my last trip to Japan, most restaurants I went had long queues, so I began to arrive at the opening time).

That sushi restaurants sounds good Uco. I didn't go to a sushi restaurant when I was in Japan 2018 (not really a fan of raw fish). So maybe this will be my first time? One question, how do you order your food? Is it a set meal? Or does the chef put sushi plates on the counter and one just takes them to eat? Thanks ;)
by Sophia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/12 11:05
Sophia,

At sushi places, you can either order a set meal or piece by piece over the counter. For beginners, I recommend set meals. Ask for an English menu or a "recommendation (osusume)".

By the way, I wonder if you're okay with things like smoked salmon. Because Toyama is also famous for its "masu-zushi" (sushi rice and seasoned salmon pressed together in a bamboo box). You can get them at Toyama Station where you can taste bites of a lot of local goodies.

Either way, the quality of the rice itself is truly great. I'm a Japanese born on the Pacific side and everyone knows that the Hokuriku region is famous for its rice. So try to enjoy rice in its best form while you're in Hokuriku. And good rice is what makes good sushi, just like good ice is essential for good alcoholic bars.

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/12 11:44
We really love Kajibashi in Takayama for lunches. When we go we will eat there every day if we can, the food is fantastic and the chalk drawings are interesting.

I see it has a pretty average rating and some negative reviews, but I dont really understand that. The staff can be a bit off hand when it is very busy but after being probably a dozen times I've never had a bad meal there. That said, I've rarely had a bad meal in Japan full stop.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/12 14:39
I forgot to add about the sushi. If you're not on a low budget, you can sit at a counter and order "omakase". This means it's up to the chef to decide what to serve, and he would serve you the best material of the day, piece by piece. You can tell him your preferences in advance, and you can also tell him to stop when you think you've had enough. Otherwise, the chef will sort of guide you, telling you that a couple more would probably be enough.

So, if you're a beginner, you can sit at a table and ask the waitress for "osusume" and see what set menu she could tell you about, or you can sit at a counter and let the chef do his "omakase".

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/13 00:46
Masu-zushi looks very interesting though I'm not sure about smoked salmon (I dislike raw salmon. Raw tuna depends on the slices, it they are too thick I won't eat).

About the ways in sushi restaurants, thank you for the tips Uco. I am a little bit picky with sushi (I never ate sushi during my last trip to Japan). But I wanted to try the second time I go to Japan. When I go for sushi in my country, I usually eat those with pickles/cucumbers and fruits (aka "vegetarian sushi" or whatever it is called).

To be honest, food was the most surprising thing for me during my last trip to Japan. Food that I thought I would love, I hated the flavors (Takoyaki, Taiyaki with azuki beans, Noodles except Ramen). And food I thought I would dislike, I ended up loving it (Melonpan, Shojin Ryori, Tofu). But I also LOVED other foods that I thought I would like such as Shabu-Shabu, Tonkatsu, Tempura, Kamameshi, Matcha icecream, Momiji Manju, Unagi/Anago.

Lazy Pious, thank for recommending that restaurants. I saw pictures, and the food looks yummy.

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/2/13 15:35
On top of my previous comment about Center4 Hamburgers, also check out the range of Hida beef foods available in Takayama. The nigiri sushi was a particular favourite of mine, but don't bother joining the insane lines (at least pre-COVID!) for the one available in the old town - there is a cheaper option with no lines that is just as tasty along the river front walking towards the festival float museum.

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/8/4 07:01
Sophia (guest): I visited that Center4 Hamburgers restaurant during my stay in Takayama in october 2018 and had their special Hida beef burger but unfortunately I have to say that I was quite unimpressed with what I got. I would still recommend that place to a burger-fan who wants to experience the japanese "way-of-burger" (because out of five burgers I had during my two visits of Japan it was still the best) but if I were to visit Takayama today I would choose more "japanese" food experience.

On the other hand I agree with that beef sushi recommendation - that was really interesting and very good. Its not a meal though, more like a snack. But definitely falls into "must try" category. Also in one of those sake breweries in Old town they were selling "sake manjus", sweet dumplings with sake flavour. Those were really delicious and they had free samples for tasting so I would recommend checking it out. Again its not a meal, just a snack, but it was really good and it is a nice local specialty.

/ (guest): I am not sure why but your writing style reminds me of a certain nice and friendly and (tiny little bit) loud aussie lass I have met on a concert in Sendai back in may 2019. I think she also visited Takayama... Hm, probably just a coincidence... :)

by haens rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/8/4 13:12
@haens, I am a short Australian woman! Unfortunately not me you've met though, as I wasn't in Sendai in May 2019, nor have I been to a concert in Japan!

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/8/4 14:34
@haens. Thank you for your opinion. I often search for "japanese" style foods, unless I'm with my mom, because I want to try various dishes of Japanese Cuisine. Btw, ohhh I love manju, I ate lots of those in Miyajima, and its one of my fav japanese snacks/sweets. And with sake, you say! I will try them for sure! Thank you!

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/8/10 06:57
If you want rice, hokuriku is known for delicious rice. You can always get it there. For snacks/appetizer like burger and all, you can get it at Center4 Hamburgers about ten minutes' walk from the main tourist area. They have the best hida beef.
by joelmarshall rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2021/12/20 05:47
I was looking for an answer to this question on the internet. I am very glad to have found the answer on this forum.
by Albert11 rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurants in Takayama/Toyama 2022/8/29 06:38
In Takayama I recommend Center4Burgers as many people recommended and Suzuya restaurant for the hooba miso, the beef with miso over a magnolia leaf and of course a good sake.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread