Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan senior high school 2021/2/14 03:59
Hi! I am a half japanese half filipino, 18 years old becoming 19 at July. We will be moving in Japan this year and I already graduated/finished senior Highschool in the Philippines. I am planning to study '3rd year' in senior high school at Japan first before applying to college university because I want to adapt there and practice my Japanese skills first (speaking ect.) before entering college.

But I just heard (from a youtuber) that you will not be able to skip a year or two in senior high school at Japan. Is this true? It makes me sad because I will be needing to allot 3 more yrs for Senior Highschool when I finished it already:(
by Moonpale  

Re: Japan senior high school 2021/2/15 08:15
To enter a senior high school in Japan, you need to pass the entrance exam because it's beyond compulsory education here. And entrance exams are held in Japanese.
I've never heard someone entering a school to repeat the year, so I don't know if it's possible.
I recommend you to go to a language school instead. They offer classes for entering universities.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan senior high school 2021/2/15 13:31
Let me tell you the basics first.

People who have not graduated a senior high school are free to apply for one in Japan.

Applicants need to take an entrance exam at some point to officially enroll in a Japanese senior high school (because it's not compulsory education).

It is possible to be transferred to a second year or third year of senior high school, if the applicant has already finished education equal to his/her classmates-to-be. For example, if you have finished the first-year's worth of education elsewhere, you can take a transfer exam to be accepted for the second year.

So, in your case, I'm afraid you won't be able to become an official student in a Japanese senior high school, because you've already graduated one. Also note that third-year students are age 17 going on 18 for March, younger than you are.

On the other hand, those who have graduated senior high school but failed to enter a college right after , typically enroll in a \Z where they would study for the sole purpose of passing a university entrance exam. Perhaps you'd want to attend something like that. A lot of people would make friends there.

Or if your Japanese academic skills are not enough to prepare for the competitive university entrance exams, you can attend a language school for foreign newcomers.

Or if you're planning to enroll in college as a foreign exchange student, the college will take care of any gap you may suffer in terms of language or culture.

I just heard (from a youtuber) that you will not be able to skip a year or two in senior high school at Japan.

I'm not sure what the Youtuber meant, but for example, in the U.S., you can enroll in first grade in September, and if the teacher thinks you're doing extremely well in October, you can skip the rest of first grade and become a second-grader much earlier than your classmates. You can do similar things on and on until you become a senior high school student at age 10 or something. That is not possible in Japan. The youngest person to graduate senior high school in March must be 18.

I hope I have answered your questions, and I hope your time in Japan would be worth while.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japan senior high school 2021/2/15 14:47
Bit old for high school...
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread