Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earthquake in Japan 2021/2/14 15:29
If my prefecture caught under earthquake, can we foreigner demand food, shelter from Local city hall.
by Max (guest)  

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/15 08:42
Thatfs nothing you gdemandh – all residents are advised to stock up on food and water to survive for some days (just as a general precaution in an earthquake-prone country), but yes for the rest of it you will be provided with shelter/supplies just as other residents in the area will be.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/15 13:00
As suggested, upon natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods, whatever support provided from your local city hall would be available for any human being, regardless of nationality or status. Even if you're a tourist or an illegal immigrant, you can still get free support including basic medical support.

In addition to stocking emergency goods such as radios, food and disposable toilets you can use in case you are locked inside your home, what you should be doing now is to make sure you know which emergency shelter you should go to. Every household belongs to a designated shelter, and supplies as well as updated information will be available there. If you have family, make sure you know where to meet in case you get lost. (Ideally, you can leave notes at your current home.)

Note that because of the COVID-19 PANDEMIC, people who can seek shelter at other places such as hotels should go there so that refugees could keep social distances at the public shelters.

For more details, check the official website of your city, or inquire at your local city hall. Brochures in foreign languages should be available.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/16 05:06
Arigatou Gozaimasu.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/16 05:33
If you are studying Japanese, the following simplified article (first link below) might possibly be useful learning material although it's not directly related to your specific question. If you follow its links it will lead you to a disaster information brochure (second link below) that might also be of interest and possibly available in your native language. (Your choice of the verb "demand" suggests that probably English is not your first language? Probably you meant something more like "request" or "obtain"...)
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10012865531000/k10012865531000.html
http://www.bousai.go.jp/kokusai/web/index_en.html
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/16 06:43
As highlighted last year, after a couple of the typhoons, cities may restrict services to registered residents only.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/16 18:31
Just to clarify, each district shelter (usually used as schools when there are no disasters) could only hold stock for its residents. If someone fails to flee to his/her designated district shelter and need to go to a different one, there may not be enough food or blankets for him/her, especially at the beginning when additional supplies are yet to be transported from far away. That's why you need to keep a emergency backpack at your home, so that you could carry your own food and warmers for the time being.

JapanCustomTours, are you talking about something like that? If not, could you kindly share your source of information? It's not that I don't trust you but rather that I want to study more about it. Because as early as 1995, upon the Great Hanshin Earthquake, TV was reporting about anonymous illegal immigrants who were suffering from the disaster but were hesitant to seek help. The truth was that anyone was able to queue to have a JSDF medic take care of your wounds or to get a bowl of soup from a volunteer group. I hope that hasn't changed.

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/17 06:29
@Uco, no, I was not actually talking about that, but that would also be possible. The particular case I was talking about was regarding the situation of homeless residents late 2019. Because they did not have a registered address, and despite living in the same place for many years, shelters turned them away for assistance. It made a bit of a stink in the media about their treatment. Not many places did this, but enough to highlight the problem.
And despite the family register system and "everyone" being recorded, there are tens of thousands of Japanese that are not registered, and all the problems that go with that (hard to keep a job, no bank account, difficulty getting housing . . . )
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/17 09:59
Thank you, JapanCustomTours, about the homeless and mu-koseki situation. I suppose that, looking from the municipal side, they have been warning the homeless people (many living near rivers) to move into "shelters for the homeless" while many municipals don't have enough money to begin with. But I understand that many homeless people are homeless because they're having trouble living in shelters. Complicated.

Back to the topic, even foreign residents and tourists should be alright as long as they pay attention to warnings from the city hall, and I'm sure that homeless people would also get food and blankets if there is enough supply for them. As for foreigners, they should also pay attention to what their embassy says.

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/18 16:57
So following agency will help in disasters
Japan self defense Force
Japanese TaskForce
Local city Hall
nihon nenkin kikou
Shakai hoken chou
Social security agency
Embassy located in Japan
Volunteers

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/24 00:32
If earth quake destroy my house, can we foreigner get bank loan free of interest?

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/24 12:37
If earth quake destroy my house, can we foreigner get bank loan free of interest?

Foreigner or not, people cannot get bank loan free of interest just because their house was destroyed in an earthquake.

Of course, when a huge disaster (such as an earthquake) happens, sometimes the government or a private organization would launch a temporary aid for the victims, and sometimes victims get to have bank loan free of interest under certain conditions. Typically, the conditions would have nothing to do with nationality.

But the aid is not necessarily provided every time. For this reason, you are advised to join an insurance that covers natural disasters. For example, thanks to the insurance we had joined years ago, we were able to get some money from the insurance company to repair our roof that was damaged from a typhoon. I don't recall any other aid being available for us for that particular damage.

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/24 20:21
Very helpful advice in this particular post! Itfs the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!
by singhpankaj62 rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/26 18:37
Thanks Mam for your kind response.
Can foreigner talk with atomic bomb survivors. If yes,how?
Because world hear their weeping sound or silence crying.

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/2/27 15:31
Max,

If you have more question that has nothing to do with earthquakes, you need to start a different thread, but survivors that tell their stories orally are called "kataribe", and for atomic bomb survivors, you can listen to their stories and perhaps ask questions at atomic bomb museums among others. The stories are usually told free of charge, and anyone is free to listen to it regardless of nationality, although you may want to bring along an interpreter. Some survivors do tell their stories in English. A typical example is Setsuko Thurlow who lives in Canada.

https://nagasakipeace.jp/english/survivors.html
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_jaJP909JP910&ei=O-Y5YLbiJojm...

Re: Earthquake in japan 2021/3/5 00:40
Thanks so Much
Can I say few words from my Holy book
"When the earth is shaken with its final earthquake and mankind will say:what is the matter with it.Because your Lord has inspired it......."
This Day is known the Last Day of this earth.
The book also said"The Last Day of my Life among other days

reply to this thread