Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/19 07:42
I would like to sell coffee and tea (on the go) in market settings, something like street food (no physical stall and I can do it whenever I have the time too). However, I would like to know the legal procedures (such as those involving license or income tax) and any food health and safety issues I should take note of. I don't intend to grow very large I just want to make some extra money whenever I can.

Thank you in advance for the kind advice.

by JKL (guest)  

Re: How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/19 09:53
Youfd need to get permission from the police for use of the road/public space, which is difficult to obtain, so youfd need to ask a land owner for use of their private road. Otherwise youfd need to go on a hand-pulled cart to move around as you sell.
Also youfd need to get permission from the public health & safety office (ghokenjoh) to sell food/beverages. Attend lectures to get Food Hygiene license (public qualification), which you donft need if you are licensed in Japan already as a chef, and also get business permit as a food seller.

About income tax, if you earn over a certain amount, youfd need to declare it during the mid-Feb. to mid-Mar. tax filing period, including all the details about revenues, expenses, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/19 10:58
uI would like to sell coffee and tea (on the go) in market settings, something like street food (no physical stall and I can do it whenever I have the time too).v

Out of curiosity, have you spent much time in Japan? While some towns do still have street markets, they're few and far between in the present day. For the most part, Japan doesn't have large-scale open-air markets, of the kind like you'll find in Thailand or Taiwan, where people spend an extended time leisurely shopping and start craving refreshments while they're there.

Are you planning to sell coffee/tea in bags (i.e. beans and leaves)? If so, why do you think people will be more interested in buying them from a random person on the street instead of at a supermarket or specialized shop.

On the other hand, if you're planning to sell cups of prepared beverages, do you think people will want to buy them from you because of their quality, or because they're convenient? If it's quality, you'll be competing against the many cafes in Japan. On the other hand, if it's convenience, you'll be competing against Japan's huge number of vending machines and convenience stores that have all sorts of extremely affordable canned/bottled tea.

I'm sorry if this sounds negative, but if you're assuming that Japan has a bunch of street markets where people usually buy food and drinks, and that you can make some extra money at them while backpacking around, that's probably not the most realistic plan.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/19 14:45
I figure that, instead of using a part of a road, you're seeking to borrow a small part of the premises of a supermarket or something.

I don't know about markets (although I do remember a seemingly foreign resident selling delicious cupcakes in the premises of National Azabu Supermarket), but I've seen a lot of examples of people using a space inside someone else's cafe to sell food or drinks on a random date. They would update schedules through social media.

It seems that most of the time, people find these spaces through word of mouth. For example, a lot of cafes hope to support its neighborhood, and if they receive an offer from a reliable neighbor, they might rent a space to you. Or more often, I see cafe owners selling baked goods that someone else in their neighborhood had made. I don't know how the money and license works, but perhaps you can start by asking at your favorite cafe.

Here in Yokohama, there even is a couple of "share cafes" in which there is a different "cafe owner" for each day of the week offering their own menu. In these particular share cafes, the owner needs to come in every week and stay there the whole day. But you can talk to people like these to find a way to start something similar.

http://bluff-terrace.com/
https://nicoent.com/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/20 08:14
I am very confused by this question/post. In my travelling around Japan I know of one (only one) place where guys are trying to sell something from a cart. Happens to be in Okayama where they have a special desert/pudding they are trying to flog.
The next step up from that would be yatai/food stalls that set up for a festival - mostly I see these at temples/shrines. Usually pretty serious operations, but sometimes they are fund-raising ventures (I know a boy scout troupe that do this). I don't know the legal ins and outs of it, but they do get permission from the temple/shrine to operate (plus their club ouse is on the temple grounds, so that makes it easier for them).
But the point made by a previous poster is worth repeating - with so many established cafes, combinis and ubiquitous vending machines, why would someone by a coffee from a random/temporary street cart? I suppose if you targeted on of the large parks you might get some customers, but often they already have coffee/tea/cafes so getting permission might face some opposition from people that have paid for their concession.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to sell street food in Japan 2021/2/20 14:50
This is just for reference about people selling coffee to-go in Japan.

If you scroll down the following blog to the phrase ڗ, you can see that this particular coffee seller is renting a small space inside a cafe called KachaKacha. I wouldn't recommend people to travel far just to buy a cup of coffee from this seller, but just as anyone would buy coffee from a combini or fast food shop, or in fact, just as some people bother to go to a Seven Eleven just for coffee because theirs is better than others, I enjoyed buying ڗ coffee during a long walk I happened to be taking.
https://retty.me/theme/101176400/

Here are also examples of people selling coffee using their own carts. Actually, I see coffee stalls all the time. I think there is one regularly operating in Jiyugaoka, Tokyo. Sometimes I'd go and ask if I can buy a snack from them, and they'd say, "Sorry, we only sell coffee."

The OP clearly writes that the purpose is not for making big money, so it makes sense as long as the coffee/tea is decent enough, or if the seller is friendly enough.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread