Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Divorce related questions 2021/2/25 10:34
My problem is that I entered Japan by student visa then i married from Brazilian that had long term resident because her grandfather is Japanese, after the marriage i changed my visa to long term resident too (i was thinking they'll give me spouse visa but they gave me long term visa I think it's because my wife didn't have permenent visa and she's not Japanese she's only grandson of Japanese) but now me and my wife have a lot of problems and maybe we will devorce soon. That why i want to know what will happen to my visa after devorce? And the main problem is that i don't want to leave japan i want to continue liveing and working in japan.
I will tell you some information about us.
I'm in japan since three years and two months. six months with student visa and two years ten months with long term resident visa. We married since exactly three years. And i'm working since two years and three months in cars part's factory as normal worker with contract for two months we renew it every two months. My salary is 1200 yen per hour. I'm saving in my bank about 700,000 yen. And my annual income is 2,800,000 And i have bachelor degree in English translation.
My questions are :
Can i continue living in japan after devorce?

Do i need to change my visa for example student visa or work visa ? If yes what kind of visa i can get?

If it's work visa do i need to change my work? For example work as English teacher ?

At the end i want you to know that i can't call or meet lawyer because my wife checking my phone always and if she found that I'm searching for information about divorce we'll have problems and our divorce may be will become faster so please help me.
by Faiooo88  

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/2/25 16:19
If you get divorced, that means you lose the basis of your current resident status, which is glong-term resident,h based on the fact that your spouse is of Japanese descent.

You will need to report the change in your marital status to the immigration authorities within 14 days, and they will probably give you a few monthsf time to either change to another resident status, or leave Japan.

So if you want to stay in Japan, you will need to get a different resident status (what you refer to as gvisah) on your own, probably employer-sponsored work resident status or something else (if you want to study at a college or someplace and get accepted).
If it is work resident status, this means you need to find employment with an employer in Japan who is willing to sponsor you for visa. There is no category of resident status/visa that allows you to do simple factory work, so I donft think your current employer can sponsor you for a resident status. Probably you will have to find another work that is in line with your education, knowledge and skills. Best wishes.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/2/25 16:53
Bachelors degree in English translation? You must be joking.
by Be serious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/2/27 05:17
Thank you so much for these helpful informations.
But I still have two questions I'll be more thankful if you help me with them too.
1. Because I am not English native speaker. You think if I improve my English more or get the IELTS certificate, beside my bachelor of English translation you think I'll be qualified to teach English in Japan and change my visa to work visa? Because most of the schools provide visa sponsorship.

2.Based on my current visa how many years of marriage do i need to get the perment visa or long-term visa without I need to be married?
by Faiooo88 rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/2/27 12:54
1. IELTS and other tests such as TOEIC test your proficiency in the English language as a learner. So it does not really attest to your fluency or equivalency with native English speakers.
When you say you majored in English translation, that is between (of course) your mother tongue and English, so I assume your education has been given in your own language? (For non-native speakers of the English language, many English language schools ask for native level of English or many years of education ginh English as the media, not as the subject.)

2. I am not sure about the number of years based on marriage to glong term residenth status holder.
I only know that: if you have been married to a Japanese (spouse of Japanese national), you will be eligible to apply for PR (permanent resident) status after 3 years. Those who have been living in Japan as long-term resident: after 5 years. All others: total of 10 years (on work visa, etc.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/2/27 17:30
Thank you so much AK you're the best
by Faiooo88 rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/3/4 16:58
There are a lot of problems when it comes to divorce because you will promptly lose the current resident status that you ahve which means that you are not a spouse of a Japanese person anymore. Unless you have a backup spouse LOL you will have to leave the country. I know that there are people who will be supportive in this kind of thing but it is the reality of the situation if you do decide to get divorced. There are many aspects that is beyond your control when you do this but it is weird enough to see people marry into families there and stick together for the longest time.
by Utagawa rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/3/10 08:44
i can't call or meet lawyer because my wife checking my phone always and if she found that I'm searching for information about divorce we'll have problems and our divorce may be will become faster

Umm not to get too personal here but think about divorce on serious level. Clearly your relationship is toxic to the point of checking phones.
by Momo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/3/10 11:37
Use a public phone to make the first appointment with a lawyer.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce related questions 2021/3/11 11:47
Yes you can try for Teijyu visa.
by Guest21 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread