Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Full time and part time 2021/3/3 11:42
Hello guys🙏

I am spouse visa and live recently in japan .I applied for part time job and although my visa no limit hours to work . They made 30 hours only weekly although I want to work more and they told me it is not because of ur visa but it about contract and tax system in japan. In fact I do not understand what that mean , and if I want to work more hours what should I do ?!

Please let me know if you have answer❤
by Jamine (guest)  

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/3 16:02
they told me it is not because of ur visa but it about contract and tax system in japan

This could mean anything, but maybe your employer was only looking for part-timers and not full-timers. For example, maybe the employer doesn't need full-time help, and could only pay as much as 30 hours/week. Not all employers are rich enough.

Are you sure that when you applied for the job, there was no limit to the hours you could work? Usually, job ads clearly mention (in Japanese language) things like "part-timers wanted" or "full-timers wanted". Maybe you applied for the former.

The other thing is that if you earn enough per year, you will no longer be a "dependent family member" of your spouse, and your spouse would have to pay more taxes.

Either way, even if your current employer cannot let you work more than 30hr/wk, you can still apply for different jobs. What I mean is that part-timers are free to have two or more jobs.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/3 16:25
The job is for 30 hours per week. If you want more work, get another job.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/3 18:57
Obviously the employer was looking for a part-timer. And this has implications not only on your taxes and whether you will remain (in terms of taxation) dependent family member on your spouse or not, but also for the employer.

The employer might have only a limited budget (as suggested by Uco above).
Another thing is, if the employer employs a person full-time, depending on the size of the company, they are required to enroll you in their social security systems (pension and health insurance). So maybe they donft want to do that?

If you want a full-time work, you need to find something else.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/3 19:30
Thanks for All🙏

AK@ it is combini work and they told if I work more they need to put me in social security system and I do not know what is the problem for that if every thing is cutting automatically from my salary !why they do not want?

Thanks for who suggested to work more than job ! Job is not just hours☝🏾
by Jamine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 06:10
Janine,
When an employer puts you in their social security system, they have to pay into it too. It is not just you.

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 07:03
Having full time employees adds a lot more to the expenses/costs of the employer. Having part-time staff keeps costs down.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 10:09
Ak@@@ According to what you said I can understand now why they do not want gives me more hours and hire another person although I can work more hours . It is just because they do not go inside that social system . They are just want person who work hours and go ☝🏾 Is that what I understood is true?🥸
by Jamine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 11:22
Jamine,

I have no way of knowing what your employer is thinking.
All Ifve explained (and also JapanCustomTours has explained) is that there are big cost/expense difference between hiring a full-time person and hiring a part-time person.

Also having two different people means more flexibility and back-up in case someone falls ill, etc., so itfs up to the policy of the employers. This time they wanted to hire a part-timer.

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 12:27
Hi again,

People who run combinis are typically regular pops and moms. They may be under a big franchise like Seven Eleven or Family Mart, but the owner of the convenience store is usually an ordinary person, just like you and me, who decided to sign a contract with big companies just so that their business will be protected.

In other words, they may not want to go through the big paperwork that is necessary when hiring full-time workers. And if the ad says "part-timers wanted", people will come expecting to do part-time work. Again, the benefit for the part-timers is that they are free to be hired by as many other employers as possible.

By hiring part-timers, both part-timers and owner would be happy. I don't think it's a bad deal at all.

Were you seeking social security from your job instead of having it via your husband? If so, perhaps you can see if you can find another job that suits you better, and if you decide you want to quit the combini instead, you can talk to the combini employer about the social security and I'm sure the owner would understand.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/4 14:46
Janine,
When an employer puts you in their social security system, they have to pay into it too. It is not just you.

Re: Full time and part time 2021/3/5 07:31
Spelling it out more obviously and simply (rough/sample numbers based on my payroll) paying the same rate to the employee:
Part time: Direct wages cost ~1,400 yen/hour.
Full time: Direct wages cost ~1,900 yen/hour.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread