Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/3 13:00
I'm considering buying a Kyushu Discover pass for travel around Kagoshima and for the Shinkansen to kumamoto at the end of the month. I'm relying on trains and buses for the whole trip. For a week long trip in Kagoshima, Kumamoto and Fukuoka which other transportation passes do you think are worth buying?

The only farther afield destinations im planning to visit are Kurokawa, Dazaifu, Ibusuki and possibly Tsuedate

Thanks!
by tobinsan  

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/3 17:40
I doubt you could see all those places in 3 days.

Kurokawa also has no JR access.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/3 18:25
There is a Sun Q bus pass, which is similar to the train pass, with a All-Kyushu and Northern-Kyushu versions.

There are usually a city day bus pass in larger cities, which can be helpful. I found the on in Miyazaki a fantastic value, because of all the places south of the city, like Udo shrine and Aoshima Island.

There are also epackagedf tickets. I did a eHellfs of Beppuf bus tour. Bring a pair of noise cancelling headphones, to listen to the tour in English. In Fukuoka, there are packaged self tours, which include transportation and activities, such as the Yamagawa canal boat ride, and an lunch (steamed eel is their specialty). I seem to remember bus trips to hot springs locations (bus & entrance, but it may also included a meal).

If you are thinking about Yakushima Island, there is an amazing two day bus tour that dovetails with the hovercraft shuttles. It is designed to pick you and your luggage at the northern port in the morning, tour the island, and then drop you and your luggage at your hotel. The second day is a second bus tour, which will drop you off at the Yakushima southern port mid-afternoon.

Another free shuttle is one that will take you from Yahata Station to a hot spring Onsen named Asjai-No-Ju, near Kawachi Fuji Gardens. If you plan to go near golden week, think about including the gardens and the Onsen.

Finally, the Ryokan that I stayed in Takachiho had itfs own bus, which offer a free evening shuttle to the evening Kagura Dancing at the Shrine. It also used that bus to pick up and drop off guests at the city bus depot. The Ryokan was walking distance from the cave shrine. I actually want to go back an try to view the cloud inversion, but I donft know if the Ryokan uses the shuttle for that.

I have stayed at three different hotels in Fukuoka. The one I liked the best was the Route Inn across from the Hakata bus depot (attached to Hakata station). It has a hot springs bath in the basement, and was very convenient to get to the station.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/3 21:39
Thank you ebaychucky311, that was super helpful! I'm going to look into the bus tours in Fukuoka and save these other tips for future visits. That hovercraft ride in yakushima sounds awesome. I'll likely be buying the Sun q pass for the north and might just pay a la carte for trains around Kagoshima. Sounds like you'vr seen a lot of the Eastern side of the island.
by tobinsan rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/4 07:00
@ebaychucky311 - do you mean hydrofoil for Yakushima. I'm not aware of any hovercraft operating in the area.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/4 07:04
Before anything, it would help if you give more info on where you are starting from, and where you want to be at the end of your trip.
https://goo.gl/Q843Bg
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/4 07:24
Ken,

2 nights in Kagoshima, then 2 nights in Kumamoto then 3 nights in Fukuoka. Flying in to Kagoshima, flying out of Fukuoka. Thank you for the playlist link.
by tobinsan rate this post as useful

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/4 07:56
Yes... Itfs a hydrofoil. Sorry about that. My bad.

Re: Worthwhile transportation passes for Kyushu 2021/3/4 08:51
Ok... Now I have seen the Toppy and Rocket referred to as Hydrofoils and Jetfoils. I am not sure what the difference is. Here is the timetables for the Bus Tours:

Hydrofoil: 7:45 to Miyanoura Port - 9:45

I remember the bus tour starting at 10:00. The current Yuran Bus tour arrives at 10:30. You will end up doing the balance of the eAf course and the eDf course, ending in a hotel in the Anbo area.

The second day is the eBf course, ending at either the Anbo Port (13:10), or, Miyanoura Port (15:10).

Return Hydrofoil: Anbo (13:30), or, Miyanoura (15:45). I donft remember the second option to finish at Miyanoura.

I hope this clarifies my suggestion for visiting Yakushima Island.

reply to this thread