Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/9 10:33
One of the must do's for me when I eventually make it to Japan and checking out a lot of green tea cafes and tour a tea farm.

What are some of your favorite places to sit and order a cup of tea and what was your favorite tea farm to tour?
by Eddie Brown  

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 19:06
It's sad to say that Japan has a very limited number of "places to sit and order a cup of green tea". Most people make their own. So, I guess some of my favorite places are my parents' home, my home and a friend of mine's home. I've never toured a tea farm, but I would love to experience the rare April-May treat.

By the way, you can usually get free cups of sencha green tea at Japanese cuisine restaurants. And don't expect to come to Japan and be served a large cup of matcha like you would in L.A. You're supposed to drink them in three and a half sips.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 20:53
The closest most Japanese people come to drinking green tea in a cafe is when they order a matcha frappe in Starbucks. Sad but true.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 21:28
There are cafes of the category “kanmi kissa,” where they serve traditional Japanese sweets and green tea. But they are not all over town, you need to specifically look for them.
Just as one example, from the website of one such shop, these are the tea drinks they serve:
https://www.komeda.co.jp/okagean/menu/drink.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 21:29
... and if the types of sweets they serve:
https://www.komeda.co.jp/okagean/menu/special.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 21:54
At some temples there are small tea gardens. Some are better than others. But I definitely had nice matcha a Japanese sweet experience there.

In Tokyo I also know these places. But there must be more.
- in the garden of nezu museum
- in Yamatane museum
- in the foot court below Suntory museum

I haven’t ever toured a tea plantation. But sounds like a nice activity.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/11 22:56
When I went to Uji, I tried a few cafe shops specialized in Matcha goods/sweets. I ate a matcha parfait with green tea. I don't remember the name, but Uji is a small town (you can easily walk), so it will be easy for you to find the matcha cafe shops as they are all over the town.
by Sophia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 00:36
Above response may be referring to this place in Uji, which I went and enjoyed:
https://goo.gl/maps/3ysxufzZN7dyxG6XA

Uji is in south of Kyoto city and it is a famous tea growing region.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3975.html
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 00:54
Wow this is surprising to me. I was hoping to spend some mornings and afternoons at a nice Cafe enjoying some tea
by Eddie Brown rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 01:07
@kamahen Yes, that's exactly the one! There's also another across the street that I visited as well. Even though I'm no fan of matcha, everything there is delicious. These cafe shops are nice to relax while having a sweet and cup of tea.
by Sophia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 02:06
I liked Kosoan in Tokyo, Jiyugaoka. Nice atmosphère but you might have to wait a bit, it is not a big place.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 11:12
Generally consumers in Japan who want high-quality tea generally want a bag of leaves, so that they can make it for themselves at home. However, Japan does have an increasing number of "wa cafes," "wa" being a word that means "Japanese." At these, the focus is usually more on Japanese-style desserts, but they usually serve green tea as well, sometimes for free if you order a dessert, and sometimes for a separate charge. Wa cafes usually have traditional Japanese-style interiors and sometimes little attached gardens, and with Japanese desserts being smaller and less filling than the ones in many other countries, it's not like you're pigging out on a whole chocolate cake or anything, so the overall combination of small dessert/green tea/traditional aesthetics makes them a nice place to relax, and might be the closest to what you were hoping for.

If you run a Google image search for 和カフェ (wa cafe) you should get some ideas.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go: Green tea cafes and Tea farms 2021/3/12 12:08
Cafes swrving green tea arent really a thing.

Tea houses where ceremonys and gatherings happy are strongly related to green tea.

Modern cafes as mentioned above have stated popping up in some locations.

Personaly, I'd save the tea houses for green tea. And go to a regular cafe for coffee. Dont try to mix the two up.

Farms - Shizuoka has many farms you can visit. The local tourism board woukd have better info than this website. Just google Shizuoka tourism, and start exploring.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread